ocsnapper

Atlantic Shark Recreational Regs.

6 posts in this topic

Doesn't that document apply only to the HMS tournament?

Doesn't that document apply only to the HMS tournament?

Don't think so.

Wow,

I had recieved an email from an anti-shark fisherman today and used this exact site in my reply to him. It was nice to see it mentioned here. :) I thought the listing of which sharks were OK to fish for and which were endangered was very relevant.

the email I recieved was of the usual anti-fish crowd from someone who knew little about what he ws writting. a snipet: "You don't seem to care, that hunting sharks is the worst thing you can do, if you like going fishing. Sharks are extremly endangered and are natures only regulating force, to provide an healthy nautic eco-system - and that means that if they're gone, the system is destabilized and you can forget good catches."

and some of my reply:

The Sharks I target are the Atlantic Sharpnose, Bonnethead sharks, and Blacktip Sharks. I challenge you to find one scientific study that says THESE sharks are in anyway endangered and I will stop fishing for them. For example the US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration or NOAA lists Sandbar sharks and Dusky Sharks as endangered so I don't fish for them. I urge you to look at http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/sfa/hms/brochures/2008/Shark%20Recreational%20Brochure%20June%202008.pdf to see a list of which sharks are endangered and which are not.

With careful management there is no reason that recreational shark fishing will harm the environment."

So thanks for posting good tips like this. Those of us that promote good fishing and catch and release can defend our sites best when armed with the FACTs and websites to back them up.

Rob

Without getting into a diatribe and going off topic here, you may want to mention fin soup to the poster....

I'm still trying to figure out how to get the hook out without beaching the catch (as per the regs).

I'm still trying to figure out how to get the hook out without beaching the catch (as per the regs).

I recently saw a show on how to "hypnotize" shark - they seem to like it if you pet them.

I watched amazed as one woman removed a hook from the mouth of a shark she was petting. (It was an old hook - she wasn't fishing! I DON'T suggest you do this with a shark with whom you have just had a fight, but if you do, make sure you have a videographer!)