7 posts in this topic

In a freak accident, a piece of fishing equipment ended up killing a Roosevelt man Tuesday.

Jaime Chicas, 21, of Roosevelt, was fishing off a jetty at the west end of Jones Beach on Friday when his 3-ounce lead sinker came out of the water and hit him in the face and then lodged in his brain.

Man dies in freak fishing accident -- Newsday.com

OMG, that is so horrible....

He goes out to enjoy a little tossing and never comes home.

So sad.

I have to say, its easier than you'd think after having one too many and the beer muscles start flexing :icon_salut:

Honestly, its a shame, but imagine how heavy of line he must've been using and how hard he must've been pulling....I know I've pulled jigs, weights, etc out of trees before and had them come shooting back at me....even had them hit me but never had anything more than a little bruise....maybe it was a pyramid and the point hit him dead on.....

Honestly, its a shame, but imagine how heavy of line he must've been using and how hard he must've been pulling....I know I've pulled jigs, weights, etc out of trees before and had them come shooting back at me....even had them hit me but never had anything more than a little bruise....maybe it was a pyramid and the point hit him dead on.....

Yep, he must have had some good equipment for nothing to fail pulling that hard.

Rest in Peace. That is just terrible.

But... He died doing something he loved ( well, probably most of the time).

Ya know, now that I think about it...

This is not an uncommon happening.

I have had a (fish) thrown hook zing past my head close enough to hear it. And another time a weight and rig just missed me and hit the back of my truck. It's especially dangerous when you have a fighter close in, easier to zing the rig.

Now that someone dies, we think about how it could have happened to us. I truly feel for the family....