11 posts in this topic

Hi all.

Went fishing off the surf 7/20 about 10:30am to 3:30pm. Over the span caught about 6 baby sand sharks, 4-5 skate, a couple small spot (5"-6"), 3 kingfish about 11", and a stingray (atleast I think because that thing was massive about 3' wide and 4 feet long). Used mainly blood worms on kingfish rigs along with some squid. Most fish were biting the blood worms and a few hits on the squid. No hits on the mullet. Overall good day with some action picking up towards 3:30 when I left.

Thanks for the report! Haven't heard of much spot in the surf yet this year! They make good bait!

Up a little on FI State Park, I fished saturday and sunday. Honestly quite a disappointment. Only a 12 inch sand shark on squid. Saturday around 7pm, there was two large schools of baitfish jumping wildly. They were in the closest to shore that i think i've ever seen. I was using a large saltwater spinner, had a huge hit, and my line snapped immediately. I have no clue if it was a huge blue/shark/or dolphins who were working as a group to push them into shore.

Sunday was much the same, a guy up from me ended up bringing in a 3-3 1/2 ft sand shark, i blanked other than a small spot, which i figured with my luck i'd just throw back to catch for bait another time.

Two things really angered me this weekend though. On saturday there was a Kia Rondo that i guess had to be AWD since it got stuck quite often(overheating and awd shutting off) No Surftag, clearly no gear, just kids going about 50mph on the beach. Luckily there werent many people on the beach still, but its time like that when the Ranger is never around.

Sunday driving off the beach, an idiot who decided to drive his motorcycle up the path, park it, and walk over. Maybe i've been driving on this beach too long, but walk overs always bother me since they walk right in the middle of the path every time. Well i get to the top of the path and this guy is walking dead center, i gave him about 5 seconds to move, but he was oblivious. Beep the horn once, and he proceds to scream out "You have the whole Road explitive" I reponded with a few choice words, but clearly there is a lack of understanding that you shift in sand, and just because on the road you can drive within a foot of someone, i'm not going to chance it on sand and deal with a lawsuit. Just needed to VENT

Unfortunately we have the knuckleheads all over the place. Keep the Ranger numbers handy. If you see something that you feel needs to be brought to their attention, call them. If possible, take a picture of their violation. We don't need a few spoiling this treasure we have.

As for the break off, only thing you can do is make sure the drag is set to 1/3 the weight of the line, after every cast. If you happened to get a Porpoise on the line, forget about it, your line is gone...

Glad you otherwise enjoyed the day, it's great to be out there,

One thing i did invest in the following day was my lake fishing favorite the 12'' metal leader.

If it was a porpoise, be glad your line broke that easily. Keep a knife handy in those instances.

I am hoping that with the higher fines for violations the rangers have more incentive. I know it is a hard job to do and appreciate their efforts all the same.

I got a question about these areas.....not that it will stop this completely, but can't signs be posted that designate the "walk-over/pedestrian" areas and "vehicle access" areas? I would think that maybe, just maybe some of the encounters that occur on the vehicle access areas are just due to people not knowing that those areas should not be used by pedestrians for safety reasons.

If it was a porpoise, be glad your line broke that easily. Keep a knife handy in those instances.
I've nearly hooked a sea otter that one really scared me in NC
I am hoping that with the higher fines for violations the rangers have more incentive. I know it is a hard job to do and appreciate their efforts all the same.
Oh i hear you, but i can say that when the ranger comes over to do a gear check(happend last year, and of course i had everything), but never catches the idiots who don't even have a tag, nor any reason to be there, it gets under my skin.
I got a question about these areas.....not that it will stop this completely, but can't signs be posted that designate the "walk-over/pedestrian" areas and "vehicle access" areas? I would think that maybe, just maybe some of the encounters that occur on the vehicle access areas are just due to people not knowing that those areas should not be used by pedestrians for safety reasons.
I'd certainly like to see those signs posted, from people parking on the highway or driving up the path and parking, something needs to be done. Though i have to say seeing cars get buried on the beach has been a funny thing to me since i was a kid. Im still not sure which my favorite is, the Iroc Z or a Miata

I'd have been done in seeing either of those two on a beach :)

I'd have been done in seeing either of those two on a beach :)

We've seen so many odd cars make the attempt over the years, its hilarious. I guess i get the laughing part as we drive by from my dad who always refused to help anyone get out unless they had a surftag.

Edited by _4Runner_

refused to help anyone get out unless they had a surftag.

I tend to agree with that....

Unless she has a two-piece on. :happy2:

My bad.....

I tend to agree with that....

Unless she has a two-piece on. :happy2:

My bad.....

Thats a Given