9 posts in this topic

So I am a day older today and felt every bit of it by the end of today. Hit the beach today with Bucket and had a few of the locals in Ward and Frank show up as well down at Back Bay NWR.

Arrived early to a light SW wind which stayed all day and set some baits out. Ended up catching a few blues which went into the cooler for bait.

Blew up a reel, then had my line go limp on another rod, only to find out I got bit off or the sand cut me, don't know which one, cause I wasn't paying attention.

After that, Bucket and I played with some small to medium size southern rays until I get a screamer on my light heaver. After a long battle on 14# test with a small 30# leader I got a big southern up to the wash, before he finally came unbuttoned.

After that I was pretty whipped and it was Buckets turn. He got a hold of a massive cownose, that was pissed off and didn't want to come in at all. Again got him into the wash, before the line came unbuttoned, but I don't think Bucket was too upset. I took some video from the camera and will post it later.

Other than that, I got a few blues tossing a gold clark spoon with an egg sinker attached to some 40# shock leader for some distance. Wash hoping for a few spanish, but not today.

Had a few suds and walked off the beach!

Here's some pics:

100_0989-1.jpg

100_0991-1.jpg

100_0990-1.jpg

100_0992-1.jpg

Me in true battle form!

100_0994-1.jpg

Again hoping he comes over the bar:

100_0999-1.jpg

Bucket in Ray mode:

100_1000-1.jpg

You can see Bucket about lose it after the cownose heads out again towards the end of the video! Ended up fighting him for a good 10 more minutes, before finally losing him!

8_UKXNtanzo

nice pics birthday boy......I was down that way too -

ABOUT 2 MILES OFFSHORE !! Will go back next week W or T - unless you wanna go yourself Friday afternoon......I got the bait boat & chum......meet me at the gas pump w/ your NEX card !

Bring SAM too....lol

Thanks for the Video and great pics, Steve. :icon_thumright:

So your older and slower at least were still fishin' :blob1:

Great morning on the Refuge beach. And yes, that ray yesterday had me as much as I had him. Remind me to make sure to have a little more shock leader so I don't have to do as much swimming next time :icon_thumleft:

Also respooling my 975 post blow up and need to oil the SHV-30 after the refuge ray surf bath :eusa_doh:

And what no music with the video?

Keep on rockin'!

`bucket

Happy Belated Bday Steve, looks like you and th Bucket were putting it to the rays, or was it the other way around?:hello:

Hey Steve Happy Bday ! Been out of touch with family situation up north , and then changing jobs recently, and picked up my kids for 3 weeks from Atlanta so its been hectic! Great pics looks like it was a beautiful day . Managed to get down to Back Bay a couple weeks back on a saturday morning and caught 2 nice Black Tips ( Pretty sure they were ) . One on half a Blue and the other on a whole Croaker. First one was 51 1/2 fork length and the second was right at 53 length. 1" shy of being on my Grill !! the second one as I knelt down next to him to get the hook out flipped around and caught my shorts and shredded them completely ! Talk about a close call ! My friend freaked out thought he had my leg and threw the camera that had some great bowed up shots on it into the surf ! We did get some good shots of them on another camera and on a phone but have not managed to get them to post. Two good fights with nice fat Biters in one morning had me pretty pumped up ! Glad you guys had some nice fights on your trip ! See you out there next time.

Wow!

Nice work, I may be headed there tomorrow~!