6 posts in this topic

I know I know, everyone will say fresh is best etc and I can't disagree with it. This spring I've been forced to use frozen more often then not due to my fishing schedule and locations. I have not seen any difference in the two even some days having both out there. I'm starting to struggle with the "must have fresh" mentality. It is becoming apparent to me that once a large gamefish enters the surf it is there to eat, and will eat a peeler, a bluefish, a croaker, a bunker, a spot etc fresh or frozen it doesn't matter. And I've caught on all these equally this year with no clear winner on type of bait preference. Hell half the time I think the thing is still frozen solid when it gets picked up quickly.

Now I do use great quality frozen, either stuff I bought fresh in bulk, salted and basically flash froze via cooler before putting it away and keep my fresh in the same condition. What I'm wondering is why is it that everyone says it works better, does it produce more scent, is it only because it stays on the hook longer (in some cases, my frozen has been good if taken care of properly).

What say you dudes? I say when they are in the surf they are there to eat and will grab an easy meal every time. The only benefit I see to fresh may be scent but I'm not sure how big an impact that is since I ain't a fish. Some people won't fish without fresh, I'm not one of them anymore although I will be particular about where the frozen comes from.

FWIW, this lifetime drum here was taken this spring on a frozen bunker head as there was a shortage down south when I was there. 55TLx32.5 and about 70# I don't post reports anymore so this a chance for me to brag a bit on my big fish. I included one of my father in law holding the bugger since I'm on the large size and don't do it justice. I also learned something about my ego here, I tried to keep it to myself for 3 months now...couldn't do it...shame on me.

55.jpg.916786f2ac21af41be729c6588795ef9.

55-2.jpg.691a5f27334a3f2e8388c9dd747286a

5852a525eb1c7_bobdrum.jpg.6c70b9bafe5626

I've never had an issue with frozen heads compared to the rest.

If properly taken care of , I have had good luck with the frozen. Key word is properly taken care of (salted/brined/vac sealed)!

I think your right, when they are feeding, they are feeding, but in my experience, I have seen fish prefer the fresh over the froze on a number of occasions, but have never seen them prefer the froze over the fresh as a whole.

Kinda goes for with the whole mullet vs. spot when fishing for drum. Some use only fresh spot, the others only fresh mullet. I've seen days when one out preformed the other and they were both fresh.

As long as the bait that was frozen was done right I have had just as much luck with frozen as fresh.

I've caught plenty of fish on both fresh and frozen baits. I will however always use fresh first if I have it, can get it or can catch it. Very few days go by where I don't have something that was previously frozen in my bait cooler waiting to be thrown on the hook if I run out of bait or can't catch any.

I see no difference between fresh and GOOD frozen heads. Sometimes the frozen body doesn't turn out too well and doesn't hook well. Good frozen should bleed and smell like frozen.

I had some frozen yesterday leftover that thawed. I threw it to the Gulls and they wouldn't eat it!

Well I always try to get fresh but probably frozen heads are not much different than fresh....Bodies are different. They won't stay on the hook long at all if they are frozen for any length of time.

Fresh is so cheap that I try to make my schedule around it......

GREAT FISH!!!!!!!!!!!