29 posts in this topic

Just FYI for everyone. I just got done looking through the baston 2008/2009 catalog and they no longer list the SU series of blanks.

They have a new line called the SUR series. I emailed them about the SU series and they said they are not a stocked blank anymore but a dealer can special order them but there will be minimum quantities required.

So anyone who wants to build on those blanks might want to order them now while some dealers still have them in stock. Once they sell out they are going to be hard to come by.

PS-- The new SUR series blanks look similar to the SU series but they are noticably heavier by looking at the specs.

SU1569 = 13.06oz blank weight Rated 5 - 12oz

SUR1569 = 17.0oz blank weight Rated 6 - 16oz

probably because they keep breaking! I still love em though.

Hmmmm the new ones might be tempting though too... any price change?

From there MSRP they look to be about the same in price.

There are a lot of other surf blanks on the market, the thing I liked about the SU 1569 is the weight. It set itself apart from the rest of the pack! Its going to be hard to find a 13 foot blank that can throw 12oz's and only weight 13oz.

If you are looking for a telephone pole you might as well just buy "The Nail"

Yeah, meant to post on this the other day as Batson cleared out all the old blanks, making way for the new and improved blanks.

If you want a 1509, you better not be shy as they will be hard to find here soon if not already.

Only a few of the new blanks are rated the same and a bunch look very very intersting to say the least!

I'll have to take a trip to Fishsticks4u and put my grubby little hands on some and let you know!

Yeah, meant to post on this the other day as Batson cleared out all the old blanks, making way for the new and improved blanks.

If you want a 1509, you better not be shy as they will be hard to find here soon if not already.

Only a few of the new blanks are rated the same and a bunch look very very intersting to say the least!

I'll have to take a trip to Fishsticks4u and put my grubby little hands on some and let you know!

Do you think their number ratings still feel the same? From just looking at the specs it seems they changed a bit. like an old 9 might be an 8 or even 7 in the current models. I am defiantly curious to get some first hands-on opinions on these new blanks.

Has anyone here had the chance to test the new SURs yet? Have found some info on the internet ( not alot out on them yet ) would like some more info regarding the SUR 1508,1509,and the 1569.

Building an SUR1508 now...gonna give it a try on the obx in a couple weeks. Thinking it'll be a great drum stick.

Building an SUR1508 now...gonna give it a try on the <acronym title="Outer Banks"><acronym title="Outer Banks"><acronym title="Outer Banks">obx</acronym></acronym></acronym> in a couple weeks. Thinking it'll be a great drum stick.

Thanks Steve Z, does it feel like it can handle 8n bait? I see it is rated 5-10oz coming in at 15oz for the blank not bad.

Where did you purchase your blank?

i am curious as well, have even seen one of these new blanks yet.

does it feel like it can handle 8n bait?...

Where did you purchase your blank?

Oh yeah. My favorite 1502s are good for 6-8 & bait and methinks this 1508'll be good for 8-10 & bait. A real strong caster might max it out at 8 but I think it'll be good for more than that for most of us. Didn't purchase the blank...got it in a horse trade with Lynn at Night Heron Tackle in west OC.

BTW imo there is no better combo for AI stripers and drum than a 1502, either the RS, which, alas, is no more, or a lami/mudhole coupled with an abu 6500. Throws a long way and has plenty of guts and line capacity for 60# drum. That said, anybody have a 1502 they wanna get rid of???

Oh yeah. My favorite 1502s are good for 6-8 & bait and methinks this 1508'll be good for 8-10 & bait. A real strong caster might max it out at 8 but I think it'll be good for more than that for most of us. Didn't purchase the blank...got it in a horse trade with Lynn at Night Heron Tackle in west <acronym title="Ocean City">OC</acronym>.

BTW imo there is no better combo for <acronym title="Assateague Island">AI</acronym> stripers and drum than a 1502, either the RS, which, alas, is no more, or a lami/mudhole coupled with an abu 6500. Throws a long way and has plenty of guts and line capacity for 60# drum. That said, anybody have a 1502 they wanna get rid of???

I did a little poking around and have found the Rainshadow SU 1502 blanks.

If anyone is interested in getting one let me know.

I did a little poking around and have found the Rainshadow SU 1502 blanks.

If anyone is interested in getting one let me know.

Some guys ought to be jumping on this. I'm already looking at another blank or I'd be on it...this is a sickness ya know...:redface:

Threw a 10.3 oz baseball 366' with the new SUR1508 today. That was with a fishing reel loaded with 20# line and tuned for fishing. So far I like this new Rain Shadow...a lot. When I need to throw more than 8 it is gonna be the first stick outta the truck.

Threw a 10.3 oz baseball 366' with the new SUR1508 today. That was with a fishing reel loaded with 20# line and tuned for fishing. So far I like this new Rain Shadow...a lot. When I need to throw more than 8 it is gonna be the first stick outta the truck.

good to hear!!!!! I can't wait to try one myself.

I can't wait to try one myself.

You can throw mine. I'll be up there Nov 15-27...don't fish on Saturdays. Old white chev with white alum cap...NC tags.

You can throw mine. I'll be up there Nov 15-27...don't fish on Saturdays. Old white chev with white alum cap...<acronym title="North Carolina">NC</acronym> tags.

Sounds good, I should be out a couple of those days. I have a white F-250 with license plate FISH AI. I may or may not have an alpenlite slide in camper on it (depends how long I am staying on the beach).

Sounds like a nice heaver Steve Z, did you cut any off the tip or did you build full length? Will it load with 6 and bait or head?

Built the 1508 full length. Used alconites...30, 25, 20, 16, 16, 16 & a 16/12 top. I clip the 1502s until a #11 top fits nicely and that makes it a great 6-8 + bait rod. The 1508 is stiffer and I didn't see a need to clip it. I didn't throw less than 8 with it. Here's what I did:

Started with weighted baseballs...threw each one once for feel and once again to measure:

8.0 oz BB 353'

9.2 oz BB 362'

10.3 oz BB 366'

8 oz sinker: 440'

This was with an abu 6500 fishing reel loaded with Cabela's 20# line & a 50# shocker. Reel was tuned for zero fluff - kinda slow. Thought the sinker should have been further, but...

The 1508 is rated to 6 oz so it should throw ok with 6&bait but I really think the 1502 is better suited for that. BTW there is a difference between the old SU1502 and the lami/mudhole version. The mudhole is a wee bit stiffer and perhaps a bit slower than the RS. Both of 'em are awesome sticks. And I think the 1508 is gonna be a great rod as well, just wants to throw a bit more weight. As usual, I reserve the right to change my opinion on any given whim! :D

Hope to hook up with some big reds in a week or so with that new stick! Then up to AI...while there anybody who wants is welcome to stop & check it out.

Thanks for all the great info SteveZ and please keep it coming now you got me leaning back towards the 1508, No snipping and equal split makes it sound appealing not to mention the weight of the blank and the ability to throw 8nbait or head. Cheapest I have found the blank is $157.00 maybe you know of a cheaper price?????:icon_wink:

Cheapest I have found the blank is $157.00 maybe you know of a cheaper price?????

No, really haven't looked. Like I said, I got this one in a horse trade. Had an AFAW Match & did not like it at all. Seemed timing critical...if I hit it just right it went a long, long way. If I miss hit it a bit it didn't. Had a chance to swap it for the 1508 & took it. If you are local to OC check out Lynn at Night Heron. I think he wants a bit more for it but if ya don't hafta pay postage it might be comparable.

I think for fishin' the slower blanks are better but that's just my .02. A friend has one of the new SUR1569s and likes it a lot. But he's a strong young stud and I'm a wore out ol' man who probably couldn't bend it. The SUR1567 looks interesting but I have enough rods for now. Guess I said it before but I'll say it again: the 1502/6500 is imo a perfect combo for AI if you do not need to throw more than 8. And methinks this 1508/6500 combo might be the 1502 in spades for 8 & 10. Time will tell.

Like I said earlier, Tommy Farmer at Carolina Cast Pro is coming out with a line and he sez his 13' heaver rated 6-10 is the cat's meow with 8 & bait. Tommy is a great guy and if he sez it you can take it to the bank. And another new line is in the works but I dunno much about it yet. I do know the guy working on it catches a lotta drum...

I have heard of the drum catcher you refer to and TF, I will keep an ear out for both of them. Thanks Steve Z good luck on your Drum trip and keep us informed on that new stick.

You can throw mine. I'll be up there Nov 15-27...don't fish on Saturdays. Old white chev with white alum cap...<acronym title="North Carolina">NC</acronym> tags.

Steve, if you don't mind, I'd like to give it a throw...I need some new blanks. Iam sure I'll see ya out there...I often get confused when your out...there is another guy with the exact same truck...not sure if that was you fishing south of me 2 or 3 weeks ago.

Steve, if you don't mind, I'd like to give it a throw...I need some new blanks. Iam sure I'll see ya out there...I often get confused when your out...there is another guy with the exact same truck...not sure if that was you fishing south of me 2 or 3 weeks ago.

Naw, my old truck is way uglier. lol. Never sure when it is gonna roll over & die but so far it is like a timex. Sure, you can throw that 1508. Kinda between the 1502 and the 1569...I think it will be a great stick. Yeah, I was on the beach that day. No fish that day but the next day, and the next...