19 posts in this topic

Ok, I think I am going to finally going to trade the Liberty in on a pickup truck. I found a nice 2006 ford F250 4X4 with around 25K miles on it for under 17K.

Since I never owned a pickup before, I have some questions on average prices/comments on some things.

First thing is a cap is for my situation a cap is pretty much a necessity. How much on average do these things cost? and are they easily removable for when I want to add a camper for a weekend.

Next question, how much do those spray on bed liners cost? Any specific brand I should be looking for? I know I heard the name Rhino a lot, but are there other brand out there that are just as good but cost less? I am not going to be doing any heavy duty hauling of dirt gravel and etc, just carrying my dogs and fishing gear.

Any help is appreciated! Even the Anti Ford cheers since I know Oliver will have my back on that!

First thing is a cap is for my situation a cap is pretty much a necessity. How much on average do these things cost? and are they easily removable for when I want to add a camper for a weekend.

well depending on what you want in the way of a cap ,,,300 to 600 bucks .

the fiberglass ones can be heavy , imho not a one man job to remove or put on by yourself .

don't get me wrong , it can be done .

Next question, how much do those spray on bed liners cost? Any specific brand I should be looking for? I know I heard the name Rhino a lot, but are there other brand out there that are just as good but cost less? I am not going to be doing any heavy duty hauling of dirt gravel and etc, just carrying my dogs and fishing gear.

there are 2 major brands rhino and linex . at least these are the 'national chains ' ..i think about 500 ..

i bought my truck before the camper , didn't get the spray in liner ; wish i had ..

took the cap off when i got the camper . put it on then took it off and just left it off . too much of a hassle ...

if i had a place where i could have jury rigged some sort of hoist to take it off and on ; i would probaly still have it ...but it was just too much to do it by my self ..

I got a bed liner instead of spray. I should have sprung the little bit extra and had Line-X sprayed in. The "plastic" bed liner can actually rub the paint off the bed and you'll never know it until you take it out. In my opinion, spray is the way to go. If you have the bedliner, things have a tendency to slide around on it. With spray, not nearly so.

A decent used fiberglass cap can go for 300-600, but you'll have to pay more to get it painted to match the truck. You can go all out and pay over 2k for one. Mine has all the silly bells & whistles and it cost way more than 600. Weight is indeed a factor. You are NOT going to take it off alone, in fact, I don't think two can take mine off.

If you have an overhead lift, it wouldn't be a factor, except for the fact that continually removing it will eventually cause the seal to leak or even tear. Then you have the attachment choices. Clamps would be the way to go, don't screw it down to the rail!!!

A metal cap is easier to deal with but doesn't look as nice. Two ppl can easily remove it, don't think you could alone, just too awkward. Costs less too.

If you want it to look nice and plan to keep the truck for a good while, get something nice, you won't regret it. If you get an el-cheapo, you'll wish you hadn't, unless it's just for utility purposes and you'll remove it often.

What engine is in the F-250? Gas or diesel? If it's the diesel, there MAY be a problem with it. Don't let anybody kid you, it wasn't a good year for the diesel 6.0 litre. Some ran great while others sucked! Low mileage for $17k? Hmmmm....

Look on edmunds.com to get an estimate of what you could expect to pay.

Its a gas engine (v8), I read all about the powerstroke 6.0L problems on edmunds.com. I have also already decided on the spray in liner, just not sure how much or if any brands are better than each other.

I used the do it your self rinno liner and am very happy with it. I use my truck 4 construction and it's holding up well. It came as a kit with every thing u need. Tip- it needs to be applied in the shade.:icon_pidu:

You may be able to find a nice used cap for under $500 say on Ebay or Craigslist. If your even lucky you might get something in the same color of the exterior of your truck to in good shape.

A new cap can easily go over $1000 no problem, especially a fiberglass one with a high rear section may be even more.

As for the bed liner its preference I guess. If you dont get a plastic bed liner/protector and decide to get a spray on type I'd suggest to consider just paying someone the money to do it as special tools are needed to do the job safely and make the job come out nice.

After all if it doesn't come out good they have to eat it and redo it.

Anyway enjoy the new truck :)

Ok ,so who is the wisecrack that bought my truck????

anyways, called the dealership yesterday to set up the time to go test drive and put a deposit down and it was already SOLD! I snoozed and loozed (spell check just had a seizure with that). L O L

So anyways search is still on. Got a lead on an F350 that I might go look at!

Awww man! Oh well, we'll keep our eyes open.

Do you have a geographical area you would like to remain in for the search?

I am a Ford driver, but GM is screaming to get 'em off the new AND used lot over here. Ourisman Chev in Rockville. They may have some Fords too, you can holler at 'em.

Good luck with the search. Any chance you'll be taking it on the beach

Good luck with the search. Any chance you'll be taking it on the beach

There is a 110% chance this truck is going on the beach.

STEVE -- I was mainly looking on the Eastern Shore, but if there is a deal to be had on the western shore I would look into it!

Have you looked on AutoTrader.com or Vehix.com for anything used. Depending on year and price your best bet is certified preowned as they come with some type of bumper to bumper.

You can even call the dealer back and tell him to look out for the same exact truck for you and give him your number most salespeople call back as soon as something hits the lot. You never know someone might be looking for a small economical car and looking to trade in their gas guzzler :)

I would suggest next time going ASAP as well w/ a deposit even if its $100 to hold it!

What is the year/color & price your looking for exactly :)

Edited by NY JOE
added

Have you looked on AutoTrader.com or Vehix.com for anything used. Depending on year and price your best bet is certified preowned as they come with some type of bumper to bumper.

You can even call the dealer back and tell him to look out for the same exact truck for you and give him your number most salespeople call back as soon as something hits the lot. You never know someone might be looking for a small economical car and looking to trade in their gas guzzler :)

I would suggest next time going ASAP as well w/ a deposit even if its $100 to hold it!

What is the year/color & price your looking for exactly :)

I have gave all the big local dealers my number and email and a description of what I want.

As for taking a deposit with me, I always do, but the dealership was closed when I found it online and when I went to look at it on the lot. I only had email contact with the sale rep.

finally got to my truck before it was sold this time!

2006 Ford F-250 V-8 Gas 4X4 with only 12K miles on it.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Newtruck.jpg.d3406005f25b6d4193cc148fd82

WAY TO GO JIM!!!!!

Now you'll find sand in the frame for years, LOL!

In RE: liners - google up "Bedrug"... had it in my tundra for 2.5 years now under a cap - one word - awesome... would get one again and again... nothing slides in the bed, very good to your knees when you have to crawl inside, perfect for a short nap...

GL with your ride...:3gears:

Now you'll find sand in the frame for years, LOL!

Awwww man, Steve - I thought the higher sitting truck would get less sand in the frame than the jeep did - you should have seen me out there with the shop vac trying to suck the sand out of the engine before we took the jeep for trade in!

The best thing about the truck is that the interior has NO carpet or fabric - easy to get the sand out!!! Now all's we have to do is find a cap so we can take the puppies along

I can't say you will get more or less, I have no experience with Jeeps. One thing for sure, I haven't had to get sand out of the engine compartment. It's also a factor of aggressive tread, open frame areas and speed.

No carpets, that's great!!!!

You don't need a cap for your dogs, you need a horse trailer!! LOL!

Nice Pickup ! Good Luck w/ it !!!!