5 posts in this topic

CAMBRIDGE- You have heard the health news asking you to cut down on salt in your diet. But that is easier said than done for the Chesapeake Bay. The U.S. Geological Survey expects the Chesapeake Bay to have a higher than normal amount of salt water this summer.

Even with the rain Delmarva received last weekend, scientists say not nearly enough fell. That translates into less freshwater going into area rivers. This also means the bay will get less freshwater this summer.

"This means the bay is going to be saltier this year, probably, " said Dr. Dan Boesch of the University of Maryland Center For Environmental Sciences, "unless we get some very heavy rainfall, and so on, during the rest of the summer."

Boesch said that even if rain does fall in the next few weeks, it will not be enough to do much good. Since the ground is dry and the water table low, any rain that does fall will be absorbed into the land. Hardly anything will run off into the bay, according to Boesch.

Salty water is not good for what lives in the bay. Scientists are predicting a tough year for the oyster. Which the seafood industry says this is another reason to rush the introduction of the Asian Oyster.

"One thing that's probably important is to expedite the introduction of the West Coast Oysters into the Bay," said Jack Brooks of J.M.Clayton Co. in Cambridge, "because they grow much faster and to a harvestable size in a much less time than our native oyster. The parasites don't have time to attack those oysters."

However, there are many who argue against the introduction of the new species.

So next time you look over the bay waters, think about not what is not under the water; but in it too.

Boesch also points out there is an upside to the extra salt in the bay: it is supposed to be good for the crabs. And less runoff into the bay means less nutrients will find their way into Chesapeake waters.

Well I think thats a good-thing for bay fishing, not so good for farmers. less rain = less run-off of oils and other pollutants and means better water clarity & lower nitrogen levels in the bay and that "bunk" about the salt levels being bad for some bay oysters :?: come-on now, don't some of the best tasting oyster come from the ocean side, ie: Chincoteauge :?::!:

that brings fish up further into the rivers.

I agreed and as I've seen in years past on the bay, when the salt levels are higher, we get a better/bigger Bluefish run , Sharks up near the Bay Bridge, Dolphins(mammal type) and I believe a better Crab harvest. it does bring more sea nettels but I don't swim much in the bay so that won't bother me.

More salt + higher heat = Red Tide.

Not good for anything.

Thing is though, most all species stay away from that area.

Anytime there is less farm runoff, it's good for the CB.

Grasses grow, more fish, etc.