11 posts in this topic

Ok well I found a Scrambler for sale last week for $280 I was going to look it over this Saturday and purchase it but I just found someone selling a Ocean Kayak " Caper " with paddle and seat it looks really clean from pictures. Its similar to the Scrambler but might have a bit more room for stuff on it.

The owners have stored it in the garage for the past 3 years and haven't used it.

Any opinions on this kayak from anyone. This is selling for $250 by the way and the owner said he'd hold it for me for the next few days till I can get over to look it over and or buy it.

Thanks

Joe

I have found some reviews saying that the Caper is a bit more stable then the Scrambler but not as fast.

So whats better ? stability or speed I guess its preferrence but seeing I'm a newbie would you go stability ? Hmmmm so confusing :dontknow:

it really depends on what you are looking for, bay fishing I'd go for speed but surf launching and navigating stability really takes the cake IMO.

it really depends on what you are looking for, bay fishing I'd go for speed but surf launching and navigating stability really takes the cake IMO.

I'd be using it off the beach so thanks for the answer :):icon_pray:

I'd be using it off the beach so thanks for the answer :):icon_pray:

both are good surf yaks BTW

I opted for the Ocean Kayak " Caper " and picked it up tonight for $250. It came with a nice seat w/ pack on it and possibly a carbon paddle and leash not really sure about the paddle however. I have to research it a bit.

Its in good shape with minor scuffing on the bottom ( no heavy gouges )

All I need to get is a vest or something, I'll see what my local Walmart has in stock :)

I'll be heading out to Cape Henlopen or possibly Bethany this weekend to play & fish. :blob8:

I cant wait :blob1:1 more day to go !

Don't be cheap with the vest!!!!! If you plan on doing any fishing from it and not just yakking out baits, you'll want comfort AND functionality. Research it well, and try them all on...Paddling vests are expensive but well worth it when you spend alot of time in the yak.

I second that!!!!!

Get a PFD that has pockets with heavy nylon zippers.

Depending on what you are doing, think about the color.

Personally, I like a high visibility color so the motorboats can (hopefully) see me. If I am in the water and I want to be seen by searchers, I sure don't want a dark color.

Like FA said, do your homework and find one that is comfortable.

Sure, you can buy a Wally World special for $14 to use this weekend, but hopefully you will get a good one SOON and keep the el-cheapo as a spare.

Please, whatever you buy, just remember to wear it....

Congrats on your new-to-you yak! You will find many places to play!

Ha Ha Ha my wife won't let me go out without one but I wasn't planning on going without one anyway.

I was going to get a midrange priced one to start with then if I keep up with it I'll get a better one. I only said Walmart because I live right behind one, literally !!

Does anyone have any links for a site for something nice and stylish , he he he :)

Bass Pro Shop was having a sale on some really nice jackets this past weekend, not sure if its still going on.

Nah, the sale ended. I'm looking at the current one that ends 7/20 and they have the XPS ski vest on sale along with a 4-pack of el-cheapos. Go ahead and get the cheapie from Wally, it'll work for this weekend. Monday, start researching and trying on different ones of better quality.

You can also try other places like West Marine, REI, Dick's, Hudson's, etc. Whatever is closest, pay a visit and try some on. If they will let you sit in a yak with it on, do so. I know positively yes that Bass Pro will go out of their way to help you.

Remember, you are also looking for comfort while you are in the yak.