4 posts in this topic

Couldn't stand the reports of Spanish being slayed off Little Island Pier (LIP) the past few weeks, so I decided to fight the crowds of summer and head there today after work.

Arrived at approximately 4:45pm and the bite had just started. Started throwing a yellow/red gotcha plug and landed a few taylor blues before hooking up to my first spanish. Landed him and got hooked up again, only to have him slice right through me, so I went and tied on a white/white gotcha.

Caught two more spanish and lost a few at the pier as well, along with a number of blues as well. Ended up catching a nice 3-4# blue before being sawed off again by a nice spanish.

Tied on a green/green gotcha and got sliced off again by another nice spanish. Should have tied on some heaver leader, but I kept light tackle on for the fun. Tied the same gotcha on again and landed another spanish, and lost a few more before packing up and heading out.

Spanish bite was good, not hot and heavy, but steady none the less. Plenty of blues mixed in as well.

The heavers out there were catching some big rays, and one nice run before being bit off which I sure was a shark. Also had a small school of 4-6 stripers that were 35"-40"+ come by and smack bluefish on the pin rigs before finally swimming off. One of the stripers was a slob and inhaled the bluefish a couple time, only to spit it out again.

One guy had a King Mack wim by his rig only to pass (I didn't see it) and also saw about a 4 foot blacktip cruising the surface as well.

If you head out there, just be careful past the white line. No disrespect meant, but plenty of tourons and in-expierenced people casting. One guy ended up with a gotcha plug in his leg along with a bluefish attached to it when a guy slung it over the rail and nailed him. Painful to watch as the hook was just shaking in his leg with the fish still attached. OUCH!

Up close to the breakers, plenty of small panfish being caught as well on squid, shrimp, bloodworms!

Got my pier fill for a while and will most likely fish the planks again, but only early in the morning. Man do I like plugging though!!!:happy7:

Thats like THREE times in a row

Yeah I know.......:fucyc:

You siad you were going to the fresh water anyway!:fish:

I have a date w/ the pier in 3 weeks ....Man I hope they stick around