13 posts in this topic

I need some help here....

Last weekend I was out with my uncle on his boat trolling for bluefin @ lumpy bottom....He had some type of harness he made with roll on swivels and it allowed him to clip the 32 ounce inline weight on the line from both ends.....as we would reel a fish in, once we got to the weight, he just unclipped the barrell swivels from the line that were attached to the weights, and we would wind the wind-on swivels right on the reel and continue the fight....the weight would be ahead of approx 100 foot leader and we were super slow trolling the ballyhoo pretty deep....

I can't for the life of me remember how he had the line rigged to accomodate the inline sinkers..., and he is out of town and unreachable.....

Can any of you give me some ideas how to make this work......simple or complicated...or any suggestions...I was considering the rubberband method, but these weights can get pretty pricey.....

Thanks,

Stan

Edited by sbm111

Get yourself a #8 planer board.

It will do exactly what you're describing.

I agree wth Bob:glasses2: a planer board will do the same thing, cheaper and is alot less complicated.....:icon_thumright:

thanks guys....

I was looking at bass pro on line ( cause I have accrued some points) and I see a "poor mans downrigger planer" kit for about 22 bucks.......In your opinion, is this something that will do the job ??? I imagine it will only be used a handful of times a year....

If not, can you recommend a brand ?

thanks, and I appreciate all your help !!

Stan

Lee, Aftco etc.

I don't remember what my brand is, but they're all the same.

Post a link to the bass pro thing.

yeah that's it. Buy it.

You'll need as much rope as it runs deep to tie it off from your cleat as well.

nice grammar, huh?

thanks again for your help.....I think we're heading out of O.C. on Thursday, provided BERTHA won't be kicking us around to much....

Stan

Cool, catch 'em up!! If I were you, I'd be running to the hot dog....

Let me know how you make out.

Brideled.....That's exactly what my uncle did....Hey Cap. Can you or anyone give me a sketch or a diagram how to assemble the bridel ? I can't remember how he did it for the life of me....

Stan

I had success this past friday trolling with a #3 planer followed by blue/white ilander and medium ballyhoo. I ran this off the port flatline position and at 6 knots gave me plenty of depth. The planer gave no resistance once it had tripped on the strike.

I'll try and get you pics but basically all you do is crimp or tie (crimping works best on heavy mono) a lenght of heavy #50+ mono to each end of the in line shinker then attach snap swiwels(coastlock) to each end of that mono.Lay your made up sinker rig parallel to the mainline/leadered rig and decide where on the main line you want to put loops or swivels to attach to.Some guys prefer to crimp tie in an a separate peice of 80-100# mono with loops on the ends so if every connection is loop to loop once you "unsnap" the brideled weight you can keep winding. The idea is to fight the fish not the weight. I first saw this done about 6 years back fishin on a charter out of Hatteras. They brideled the planner! Hope this helps.:cool:

Check this out:

popupwtroll-1.jpg

I also found this on another site:

Making the bridle

Materials needed: (2nd pic)

2 Spro 150lb Wind-on swivels

4 1.3 Crimps

3-6 feet of 130lb Diamond Line (depends on your trolling weight)

(Remember, the longer section of the wind on swivel is always pointed at the reel.)

Second, Using 130lb Diamond line (that is what I make the bridle out of because it is smaller and stonger then other 130lb mono)

Slide 2 1.3 crimps and then 1 Spro Wind-on swivel onto your bridle

(I am using 1.3 crimps instead of 1.6 crimps because some people may be using this system on rods that don't have big guides like planer rods do. I think it will help the bridle go through the guides easier and more people will then be able to use it)Pull a few inches of tag through the 1st crimp and crimp it on there. Take the 2nd crimp and put the tag end through it, push it towards the swivel and make a small loop and crimp it.

That loop is where your double snap swivel will clip into at the front of your trolling weight cable.

Next, Snap the DSS at the front of your trolling weight into the front of the bridle. Lay your bridle along side your trolling weight. We are going to mark the spot where our back loop will be. When you make that measurment make sure you have no slack in the bridle and trolling weight is tight, so you get a good accurate measurment.

Next, slide on 2 1.3 crimps and then your Spro 150lb swivel.

Now, make a small loop like we did at the front of the bridle and crimp it.

Snap the back of your trolling weight into the back of the bridle.

Once you have done that you just crimp your leader to the back of the bridle on the Spro wind on swivel and your done.

This is basiclly the same as the planer bridle. The 1 main difference is that with the trolling weight, it will be fixed on both ends and it won't change. Snap it in the front, snap it in the back and your done.

When you get a fish, crank it up....when the weight reaches the rod tip.....just unsnap the DSS in the front, unsnap the back of the weight and crank the bridle and leader and lure right to the rod tip if you want.

This would allow you to use a longer leader and you would not have to worry about hand lining it all in and getting wrapped up if the fish runs again.

Your main line from the reel will connect to the front of the bridle system on the Spro Wind-on swivel.