7 posts in this topic

Set out today after work and was ready to start tagging some small flounder again as I just replace the needle on my tagging gun which was broke.

Started tossing out my flounder special of a 1/4oz red jig head and a 4" Chartreuse Berkley Gulp Alive swimming mullet.

Had a few short hits on flounder and a few other hits which I'm sure were croaker or something, but nothing wanted to suck it up. Kept tossing, slowing down my retrieve, but when I did that, the crabs attack at full force.

Moved down a bit and casted straight out and let it sit for a few seconds. Started my retrieve, not paying any particular attention, just enjoying the sun and a nice breeze when WHAM....Zzzzzzzzzzzz goes my drag. Immediately I woke up from my self induced daze and said what in the heck have I hooked?

Set the hook and this fish shot out like a cannon, only to have him spit the hook. Knew it wasn't a flounder, and didn't feel like a pup or a ray. Started to reel in my line to recast when I get smacked again, this time I see it's a Cobia pup. After he smacked it, he went back down and away.

He wasn't anything huge, but never the less, I would love to catch him on 8 pound test and lite tackle. I cast back out to where he was and begin a retrive again, this time twiching and jerking the grub in mid-column.

After about two turns on the reel, WHAM there he is again, just as fiesty as he was the first time. I let him eat for a few more seconds this time, knowing what it is and then set the hook. Even for a little guy, he didn't like it much. The fight was on, and my only worry was for him to duck in some old pilings sticking out of the water.

Got him to the wall and managed to get him over the rail, right as the hook fell out of his mouth as even at his size, he managed to bend it all the way backwards. Picked him up as he fell in the sand and measured him out at right at 20". Stuck a tag in him,set him free and off he went.

Nice little surprise for the day, and even a small cobia is truly amazing in the sheer power they have.

After that I managed to pick up three small flounder at the pier before being chased off by some nasty lightning and storms rolling in. Saw a few small schools of finger mullet swimming by, but nothing to throw the cast net on. Good sign for fresh bait though!!

Hope to get out tomorrow and wet a line for a while somewhere!

Here's a pic of the little guy:

100_09661-1.jpg

Niice....Baby cobias looks just like rumoras.

Very nice, Steve. Thanks for the report.

did we loose some posts adding some new php to the forum ? i replied here already but it didnt stick ?

Hit NOB with Bucket today for a bit. A few small flounder and that was it. Wind was kicking from the south and we had the last of the outgoing which did not help out either!

Where were you at when you took that picture? I'm at NOB a lot and I don't recognize the scenery lol.