4 posts in this topic

I am vacationing at ocean Isle in a few weeks and I love to fish, but I'm from Ohio and don't have much experience fishing in the ocean. I have done it once or twice and I love the idea of getting up early and doing some shore fishing. If someone could give me some pointers on what kind of gear I need, and what is good to fish for. I'm thinking about buying a cheep big watter rod and rigging it with some 12 lb test mono. Is this a good idea?

Welcome to the board!

Happy to have you with us.

We'll start out slow...

What gear will you be taking with you?

It's possible that what you already have may do the trick.

You can go to the north end of the island to the inlet and do some tossing. There is no reason that you couldn't use some of your freshwater gear there. You just want to find the cuts and toss in.

Well I've got two 6' rods rated for 8-17lb line, and two medium sized open faced spinning reels. (Okuma Stratus ST-30) Will that work on the inlet? The house we are staying in has a peer to one of the inlets, I figured the things I already have will work there. Would my reel work on a big 8' rod for surf fishing?

It all works, gets the bait in the water. The only question is will what you have chuck it out far enough. It'll certainly work in the yak where you would want shorter rods. Depending on what grabs the bait, you may want to up it to 20 lb line. Give 'er a try with the 12.