16 posts in this topic

I spent a good part of last year doing most things wrong and working things out. Finally by the fall season I think I got a decent handle on this surf fishing thing. So here are a few goals for this year.

1) Hit the early bluefish run this year. If I remember correctly they come in thick just around Mothers Day. Also I remember guys talking about how close in the blues are, don't want to overcast them.

2) Crack the 40" mark on a striper. I caught them up to 38" last year, I'd like to tangle with some of those big ones that are out there.

3) Improve my casting distance. Up till now I have been snap casting, this year I want to try the ofg cast. The first part of last year I started out with equipment that was way too light for throwing heads/weight. I now have 5 rods/reels that will throw 10 ounces or more.

4) Do more night fishing for sharks! Pretty cool stuff.

5) Catch a red drum. I fish the top end of the orv entrance (no 4wd) so this may be tough. It seems like the drum are mostly south of me.

6) If anyone sees me come by and say hello. I am the one walking around with the beach cart, mostly in the north end of the orv. Sometimes north ocean area.

My main goal is to be able too afford the gas so I am able to get to the fishing spot. Anything after that is gonna be a bonus for me. :kid: :lol:

Ok - my goals are pretty basic as I've only been surf fishing since last summer and been out a handful of weekends....and mostly in the summer.

1) Catch my first striper from the Surf (started in the summer and i missed the fall run completely)

2) Catch my first LEGAL striper from the surf (logical progression from goal #1)

3) Catch my first decent sized bluefish (so far i've caught only snapper blues....)

4) Get down to OC/AI every chance I get

5) Take my father surf fishing (Hes a lazy fisherman, but I think he'd enjoy soaking bait and sitting around socializing) - I tried to get him into fly fishing, but that was too complicated for him!

Those are some great goals. It is important to try and bring family members out with you. Especially on AI. There is just something about the environment that is peaceful and beautiful. I have had a lot of good times with my dad over the past 3 years on that isle. Very memorable stuff...

Now: My goals for this year!

:v: Catch and release Rockfish OVER 40" (if she's over 50", she's coming home with me)

:v: Catch and release a Shark at least 9' from the beach (last summer was 7'3")

:v: Catch and release my first red drum this fall

I just wanna catch fish, excluding doggies and skates :) ,,,going to the outerbanks in August and hoping to land a large bull or hammer head.

to get more fishin in than i did last year.

so any volunteers to do my yardwork so i can fish?

some nice goals ther guys, I have a few too :wink:

always want to catch alot of fish, which I do, but my goal is to catch larger fish and not just so much on the quanty :)

also want to-do more night trips, either in the boat or on the beach at AI 8)

and last, get a chance to meet-up wth some of you "Beach-Ratts" :piratecap:

oh.....and spend less-time in BPS :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

1. To fish as much as possible

2. To Take my kids fishing with me as much as possible

3. To have them both breat the "panfish" mark on thier fish this year

4. To fish at least one Father/daughter tourny with them this year

5. To fish as much as possible....oh I've already said that...guess you get the point LOL

To not blow a shoulder in a yak crash.

To not use leg as bait.

To not hit self with zinging rig.

To not land on backside and dump beer on self.

To not see my bucket of chicken roll into the sea.

To not put phone on chair arm then fold up without grabbing phone.

To not forget to put in 4X4.

To not forget bait.

To not let a gull dump on me.

Anything after that is a freebie.

Main goal:

To get out there and pass the time with good people tossing dead fish in the water.

1. Catch a legal striper @ the OC Inlet

2. Catch a > 100# Tuna

3. Fish at least once a week until 11/1/2006

4. Fish 24 hours straight, 5 AM to 6 PM on the boat, then ORV to AI all night

To not blow a shoulder in a yak crash.

To not use leg as bait.

To not hit self with zinging rig.

To not land on backside and dump beer on self.

To not see my bucket of chicken roll into the sea.

To not put phone on chair arm then fold up without grabbing phone.

To not forget to put in 4X4.

To not forget bait.

To not let a gull dump on me.

Anything after that is a freebie.

Main goal:

To get out there and pass the time with good people tossing dead fish in the water.

They sound resonable enough.... :lol::lol:

Let see

#1 Hit the beach and make new friends and hook up with others on this board

#2 Put in my freezer some more rocks

#3 Land another Red Drum

#4 Just being out on AI priceless :)

I wanna fish as much as I can this year and I'm already not off to a good start! I have missed 2 drum bites in a row and that is one of my goals for this year.

big drum from surf,

cobia from surf and pier,

king mackeral from pier,

jack from pier or surf,

striper over 40" from surf,

as many sharks as my arms and tackle can handle.

A non-catching goal I have is to start building rods. Hopefully I can knock drum off my list this weekend.

someone posted about fishing for 24 hours and it brought back a memory. When I was 15 or 16 I paid $400 for a rental house for a week down in Nagshead. When we arrived I put my clothes in the house I told my dad to take me to the pier and he did. He checked on me everyday and picked me up on the way to go on the charter boat we had in the middle of the week. We got off the boat and took our fish home, I made me a piece of tuna, pased out in the bath tub for 30 minutes and went back to the pier. He picked my up again after they had packed everything up and were on the way home. 1 week vacation and I spent 400 dollars to eat a piece of fish and take a bath in the house! Now that's a fishing trip! 8) I even caught a sailfish off the pier when I was there!

Thats some hardcore fishing there pierman... 8)

If I didn't have to be responsible and work, I'd be fishing now, probably camped out at the point waiting for some drum. I was pissed about the money. I could have gotten a new custom rod with that!

Catching the bigs ones no matter what even when the sand is blowing side ways on the beach:) Good luck to every one this year, May the Fishing Gods be kind to one and all:dog: