16 posts in this topic

We went offshore yesterday to the outside wall of the poor mans canyon. We had heard a friend had caught some yellow fin there the day before. Sea temps 74 degrees. Flat day, lots of porpoise, and sea turtles. We caught one dolphin. Smooth ride offshore, inshore it was bumpy on the way in. We stopped off at the sausages, and ham bone on the way hoping to raise a blue fin. Nada, we were told that we should have been there in the morning. It is a big ocean to be able to get right on the fish.

There's a 4 degree break out at poorman's. The NOT RIGHT! Went 4for5 on YFT yesterday.

What are the ideal temps for dolphin? I am really starting to get interested in this "offshore" stuff...

Man, does this addiction ever end? :BangHead:

Sam,

I know the feeling.....this is worse than heroin, lol!!

Far limits for dolphin are 70 and 82, optimum temp is 72-78.

Hey Sam,

Go with drugs or prostitutes, they are cheaper. Really offshore is a lot of boredom broken by short bursts of pure mayhem. Sounds kind of like surf fishing only on a bouncing platform. Enjoy it before the feds figure out how to take it away from us.

George

I am thinking that windmills would add lots of structure for fishing. I wonder if there is a limit on how close you can get to the mills for fishing. Oil platforms is another thing. I do know people in the Gulf use them all the time. I don't mind drilling, but America needs a Manhattan Project, Man on the Moon Project to solve this Energy problem. All the special interests groups Exxon Mobil, etc. may not like it, but it NEEDS TO BE DONE YESTERDAY!!!!!! I hope we have a new leader that is forward thinking!!!!

That's some pretty nice temps!

That's not too far off from the shallows.

Is the hot stuff coming in from the Blight?

I would think any structure they erect would attract marine life.

Perhaps they would prohibit trolling within a certain radius.

I don't see why tossing would be a problem, unless they have security concerns. But then again, how would they enforce it without an eyeball on it.

i am for the structure out on the water. i think the wind farm would be great. i dont think that we should pay to build it if it is a business. we have to pay for the power every month and someone makes money. no one pays me to build my business up i have to do that myself. enough about that

Im ready for the tuna to be thick and the fishing good.

I have had many thoughts. The state legislature should say that there will be NO STATE SALES TAX on any auto sold that gets over 40 MGP!!! It would put pressure on the auto industries, and help conserve gasoline. Plus those cars don't contribute to the carbon foot print. The federal government and state government should not punish people for using cooking oil to fuel their diesel vehicles. It is like having someone pay to use a wood burning stove.

One more random thought why does the State of Maryland charge road tax on Marine fuel??????? I guess because they can :^(

The State of Maryland gives a 20% cash payback for solar hot water heating. The Feds give a 30% tax credit for the same system.... a savings of 46%

The small dolphin that we caught must have cost about 100.00 a pound, well maybe 75.00. 5 guys split a 525.00 Gas bill to go to the poor mans canyon. It was so flat there that day off shore, in shore it was rugged!!

Bring on Solar, geothermal, and wind mills...... YES BIG OIL makes us all pay big time......Or perhaps that is where the term over a barrel comes from...... :fucyc:

I feel bad for all you boat owners who enjoy running offshore, I can't image what these gas prices are doing to your trips that you been used to doing for years upon years!

Just need a bigger crew all the time......

My boat's not too bad, I ran a total of 110 miles last weekend on 65 gallons. Fuel bill was $280 split 4 ways (4.34/gal for 89 octane), the price at wawa for plus was $4.27 for 89 octane.

One thing I DO have to say, is that the Marinas, especially Sunset have stepped up to help out the boaters. They are no longer charging a dollar more than it cost on land....so, hat's off to 'em.

Besides, if I didn't spend it on fishing, I'd just waste it on hookers and beer lol!!

Besides, if I didn't spend it on fishing, I'd just waste it on hookers and beer lol!!

amen! except I dont drink.