fishin'girl422

Absinthe in OC -

6 posts in this topic

:eusa_think:... :D I'll drink to that!

Taken from the article:

"I know people who have," said Capo. "They have seen things move, and they have had sort of a mini trip. It will get you going."

=======

Heck, I don't need that stuff, I see things move all the time! :D

Dave prolly has his hands full enough without ppl whacking out in his place. LOL!!

That is some foul tasting stuff. One of the guys at the office (when I actually worked in one) went to Europe and brought some back. We did shots one afternoon sitting around the boss' desk....you can have it.

We did shots one afternoon sitting around the boss' desk....you can have it.

I want your job!

It's all a marketing ploy, the stuff available in the US contains far less amounts of Thujone from Wormwood. So its basically a liquorice flavored grain alcohol. It's not bad when you drink it after its strained over a sugar cube, but not something i'd drink in mass quanity.

It's all a marketing ploy, the stuff available in the US contains far less amounts of Thujone from Wormwood. So its basically a liquorice flavored grain alcohol. It's not bad when you drink it after its strained over a sugar cube, but not something i'd drink in mass quanity.

Exactly. It was very popular in the "fashionable" salons of a century or so ago; Vincent Van Gogh and Oscar Wilde were fans of 'The Green Fairy'.

"The first stage is like ordinary drinking, the second when you begin to see monstrous and cruel things," wrote Oscar Wilde of absinthe, "But if you can persevere you will enter in upon the third stage where your see things that you want to see."

I have tasted what was supposed to be "real" absinthe, from Europe. Just a taste was enough for me. Kind of like Nyquil, but with almost a minty aftertaste. Horrible. :icon_puke_r:

It's supposed to be consumed in a specific manner, with a teaspoon and the sugar cube, so it produces the "louche", or an opalescent swirl in the glass. Part of the experience, I guess.

Still tasted nasty, and I had no desire to try it again.

But, since the amount of thujone in absinthe sold in the US is in homeopathic proportions, any "effects" from commercially available absinthe in this country, are either the result of poor manufacturing processes, or a placebo effect.

As of October 2007, the TTB a bureau under the Department of the Treasury has updated policy regarding the use of the term "absinthe" on labels of distilled spirits products and in related advertising material. They have approved the use of the term "absinthe" on the label of a distilled spirits product and in related advertisements only if the product is "thujone-free" pursuant to the Food and Drug Administration's (FDA) regulations.

Absinthe containing thujone levels greater than 10 ppm cannot be sold in the United States because the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) does not allow the sales of spirited beverages that contain the chemical compound thujone.

Needless to say, I'll stick to my Harvey's Bristol Cream sherry.