10 posts in this topic

Hi guys!!!

My name is Brandon and I am an very keen fisherman! the reason I have joined your forum is because I am heading over your way for a 3 week holiday and really want to catch a few fish while I am there:happy8:

Anyways Will be in Massachusetts at the start of my hols (5th-16th July) and then in Providence RI from the 17th to the 20th.

Not sure if I can ask these questions here, Please tell me the correct forum area if you think I will get a better response please.

I really really want to catch a Large mouth bass!!! and a trout or 2 hehe. Will have a renal car while in Massachusetts and will be based in Southbridge. What lakes or rivers should I give a go with a spin and fly rod? and where from shore would be my best chance on said lakes and rivers? I know I need a fishing license and will be getting one b4 I head out.

In Providence RI I would like to get out on a cheap 1/2 day charter if possible, from my research there are soooo many that leave from Narragansett bay its confusing:( Don't really need to go offshore, would love to catch a striped bass and Bluefish!! Also my Fiance will be working during this time and I will be bored, so Would like to take my travel rod (7' 2-5kg) and a selection of lures out during the day for a fish from the bank somewhere. Is there any areas around Providence that your not allowed to fish? is there any tips you could share with me as to the best locations to fish from the bank? accessible for someone using public transport only unfortunately:(

Was going to post a pic of a nice Barramundi for you to look at but found the 5 post rule:( never mind Will get there soon enough as long as I get some replies to answer :P

cheers

Brandon...

G'Day Brandon!!

Nice to have you with us.

We'll help you get to that 5 msg limit quickly, you know those spammers, gotta' keep 'em in check, don't want their pictures on here.

I have taken the liberty to copy your post over to the area of the forum that covers Mass, hopefully someone will see it there too.

I don't know the north lands, I'm more of a southern bird.

Someone will chirp in with a reply for ya soon!

Welcome Aboard Mate:icon_thumleft: we have a couple of other blokes from down-under as members on Atlantic Anglers:happy3:

when you do get here and catch some fish, make-sure you post-up some pics:happy2:

Awesome!! thanks for the warm welcome guys, hopefully I will get some info I can use soon! Randy I will make sure I post some pics up here of what I catch for you guys!! I will also post a couple of Aussie fish up soon too:)

Thanks for copying it over for me Steve! I will go and find it now and add another post there to bump up my post count:icon_tongue:

One more question I just thought of, with the time of year I am heading over, I know its going to be getting into summer, but will it be hot enough to target Large mouth bass on the surface?

Cheers

Brandon...

For the LM Bass, our "resident expert" is Ben23.

You can post a msg in whatever state you would like to and then shoot Ben23 a Private Message pointing him to the post.

We have many others on here that partake of the LMB's but he does the Junior tournaments A LOT!

excellent thanks Steve!! will do that, just added that Q to the other post also:icon_wink:

Ok here is some pics for you guys now:)

1st one, Barramundi caught in Peter Faust dam. We are stocking a LOT of barra these days in land locked dams on the central- north coast of Queensland. They get very big (this one is considered average at just over a meter!!!). I caught this on a large hard body lure during the early night with a full moon.

10716kg20of20Barra212120my20biggest20fis-1.jpg

ok gota post this pic:) this is my old Cruiser on Moreton Island, the Rods in the rocket launchers are what we use here for Tailor (same as bluefish) and any other larger fish from the beach.

CruiserMorton-1.jpg

Below are a couple of average tailor, maybe 2lb-3lb each.

320TaylorJPG-1.jpg

Next up is the dog of the estury called a Mangrove Jack. These fish get quite large but you don't tend to catch them much bigger than 8lb in the estury. when they reach this size they move to the off shore reefs to turn into monsters!! We have also stocked a couple of fresh water dams with these fish witch should prove interesting in a few years!!! This fella fell to a soft plastic.

40jack2-1.jpg

This one you guys would call a Jack, We call them Trevally. this one is a little Giant Trevally caught in my local river on a soft plastic.

PineGT48cms4JPG-1.jpg

Ok here is our freshwater bass, This one is quite a good size compared to most (also my PB).

Brandon27s205620CM20Bass20002-1.jpg

ok last for now... this is a freshwater Saratoga. I think you guys have something similar over there? anyways they get much bigger than this one and do all sorta of areal displays when hooked.

BorumbaSaratoga202-1.jpg

Cheers

Brandon...

Great pictures...thanks for sharing and welcome aboard!! Next time you holiday in the states.. come further south !! :)

Great pics Brandon!

The Barramundi has the same coloring as out Redfish, minus the spot on it's tail and a different mouth.

Yes, the Trevally we call a Jack, sometimes call it a Jack Trevally.

The Mangrove Jack looks like our Mutton Snapper, also in the mangroves.

The spools on your rods look like the spools we buy to spool up our reels. Are these as they come from the store?

The Saratoga sort'a looks like an invasive species from Asia, the Snakehead fish. It's a freshie and unfortunately spreading.

Looks like you'd fish the salt here just as you would there.

Except our fish don't have an accent! :D

Ok still no joy with info on any of the forums I have found:confused: Seams to me that no one in MA or RI use computers:icon_scratch: or I just can't find the right place. Anyways I will continue my searching and see what I can find. As said attached are a few more Aussie fish!!

Estuary cod caught on a soft plastic These fish get well over 100lb on the deeper reefs.

Brandon27s205LB20Cod20003-1.jpg

this was a surprise catch for me!! I have caught plenty of whiting on bait but never on a soft plastic meant for a Bream!!

Whitingonplastic2121-1.jpg

Just noticed the dates on some of these pics!! I need to update my online pics:angry3: anyway Bream. probably the most targeted and wide spread fish in Australia. We have been running some competitions here the last few years that have taken off (similar to your bass comps) catching a bag of 5 of these fish.

Bream6aJPG-1.jpg

here is a close up

Bream5JPG-1.jpg

and my Personal Best Bream

35n37cmBreambos-1.jpg

One more... This is a Coral Trout. They usually catch these in Northern Queensland on the Reef. this one I caught was just north of Brisbane and was 17.5lb. they are also excellent eating.

coraltrout2JPG-1.jpg

Cheers

Brandon...