8 posts in this topic

today I launched from the surf with 2 other guys. we headed to a wreck that is about 300 yds off the beach. we did not bring any fishing rods, instead we brought spears and did some spearfishing. it was absolutely awesome! I love it! the water was pretty clear during the beginning but got a little murky after an hour or so. the wreck was heavily fished all day before we got there so there werent many fish and the ones that were there were spooked easily and it was hard to get a shot off but I got me a nice 4 lb. triggerfish. I saw some nice fish to shoot but couldnt because they were so spooked or inside the wreck. I saw a 6-7 lb. sheepshead , a 5 lb. tog, a couple small grouper, and a giant triggerfish that was probably 6-7 lbs.! we were freediving with just a mask and snorkel since the fish dont like bubbles. there were schools of 6-14" long bluefish everywhere and you could get just out of reaching range. its like they didnt know I was there. really cool.c what could be better for us, well, at least some of us...hunting and fishing at the same time. I will do more of this and you will be hearing about it.

Now that sounds like a blast!!!

was out again today. shot a couple togs, couple triggerfish, couple spadefish. I saw a couple nice sheepshead but couldntquite get a good shot. I shot a big 5-6 pound spade and when I was surfacing the spear came out and brought some of his guts. I never saw where he swam off to to die but I was pretty pissed about that. I saw a big school of big triggerfish when we got there and were not even in the water yet. Ialso saw hundreds of spot which were pretty good sized but too small to shoot. got in the water and saw how big they were but by the time I got my gun loaded they were gone. oh well, next time, probably tommorrow.

Feel free to drop them triggers of here!

MMMMmmmmm Tasty! Just a pain to filet up.

right now i am eating fried triggerfish, tautog, sheepshead, and spadefish. makes ya hungry dont it. theyre actually not all that bad to clean, time consuming though. they are very thick skinned and 1 fish will dull a knife but I figured something out yesterday. there may be a better way but this worked well. if you make a little insicion in the skin, only like 1/2 inch is fine. just stick some of them blue handled scissors in and slide it in between the meat and the skin and just cut. it is one extra step but it is a lot easier than just using a knife and your knife will stay sharp a lot longer.

Cool.Sounds like fun, Matt.Keep an eye out for Mr. Big Youknowwhat:help::cya:

Cool.Sounds like fun, Matt.Keep an eye out for Mr. Big Youknowwhat:help::cya:

if hes a blacktip and 54"+ he needs to keep an eye out for me. I like eating blacktip. I was talking to one of the guys at the dive shop and he has been diving for like 25 years and seen thousands of sharks and not had a problem with any of them. I have not seen any yet but there are a lot of sand tigers around the wrecks here.

Won't be much longer before jaws shows up.....:clock:, got the fork and knife ready!! Yum! Way to go on the spearfishin!!