21 posts in this topic

Hey guys!

I'll be heading down in less then a week to come do some sharking down at Bethany and/or fenwick. I am going to be getting another rod and reel combo before I come down.

I have 2 setups that work for casting, and can be yakked out, but not too far:

OM 12 footer with Daiwa Sealize-X 50

Tica 11 Footer with 6500 Shimano baitrunner

Now, since I am able to start Kayaking baits out, I am looking to go with a setup that will work well for kayaking out quite a ways.

I will be using big baits, going for big fish.

Now, I can get 40% off of any Bass Pro Shops branded setup. Although I would love to get a Penn with a matching boat rod, I would like to save some green and get a BPS branded with the discount.

This includes any Ocean Master or Offshor Angler product.

Has anyone had any experience (good or bad) or have any reccomendations for me? Is the Penn stuff going to be much better and worth not getting the discount?

Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated....

Thanks for the help! Can't wait to get down there! I will be posting pictures from my past week of sharking in the OBX tonight!

Ben Dziwulski

God bless

If you're gonna be yakking, I'd go for a penn senator 6/0 or 9/0 on a 6' 30-50# trolling rod.

For yaking out baits, I would look for a rod with a roller tip. I would spend most of my budget on the reel though. The Penn 6/0 suggestion you got from Fish-Aholic is perfect, if you can afford the 9/0 or 12/0 go for it!

I would buy a cheap 30 - 50 lb small tuna stick for a rod. You can usually find them pretty cheap. You might even be able to find a used on somewhere.

Ok, so you guys are thinking Penn instead of the Ocean Master?

The Penn 114 is a 6/0 right?

What is the 115L, a 9/0?

What would you guys spool it with? I have been using 25#, but with this spool capacity I'm guessing I should bump it up......

Thanks again fellas...

Ben Dziwulski

God bless

I would say 25 or 30 lb mono would be good.

If you want a killer setup for some way out yaking, you can try some braid in the 100lb class. It will cost you a ton of money and probably cause more problems than what its worth though.

All my shark reels are spooled with Berkley 30# right now. I'd prefer some ande or sufix, but I have a hard time finding it around here.

Ok, so I am going to go with a Penn 114 (6/0) with an Offshore Angler Power Stick rated 50-80# test (6 ft).

My only concern is that the 6 foot rod is not long enough for the surf. I'm guessing that the waves don't have very much affect, even with the short rod????

I think this should do the trick....and have plenty of power and capacity to bring in the toothy critters.

Let me know if you guys think this should/ shouldn't do the trick.....

Ben Dziwulski

God bless

I use 5'6" and 6' rods all the time for sharks. They work fine. I have 2" Aluminum angle attached to my sand spikes for a little added height, but i've fished them without it.

While Penn makes a great product, I wouldn't throw BPS branded out of the boat. If you can get 40% off, why not try it? We'll let you be our test subject.

For a rod, the Shakespeare Tidewater is an excellent stick with top and bottom rollers and goes for about $50 at BPS. You can get 5-6 or 6 foot. The 5-6 fits in vehicles easier.

For line, I prefer braid because you can get more than twice as much on the reel. No, it isn't inexpensive, but it will last several seasons fishing with it a few times each. Grab a 1000 yard spool of 65 or 100# on ebay. 65 will do fine prolly, throw some mono backing on for filler. This may be your most pricey part of the setup. ($85 or so).

If you buy a BPS branded combo, they will spool it for you. Of course it'll be bargain basement line, but it's free.

I run two shakespere tidewaters with Penn 115's with 65 & 100# braid. I'm very happy with the setup for beach sharkin (or Drummin LOL!). These will outlast me prolly, but then again, a BPS branded setup might too.....

for some perspective here you will probably yak baits for one week a year, correct?

The bps stuff is fine for that, I had a combo that I no longer use and it worked perfectly and is still in great condition.

If I had it to do again I'd go for an ultra heavy 9-10' rod and that will make it a whole lot more fun. To me the boat rods feel like a shore winch and you mostly fight the fish with the reel just cranking it in.

I actually started putting my OM lever drag reel on a 12' OM rod last time I yakked baits.

Just some food for thought.

I know you are used to catching large on casted baits, I think it would be a let down on a boat rod.

Thanks for the insight guys......

The whole reason I am wanting to get another setup is that I will be visiting the beach more frequently in upcoming years- not just 1 week of the year. One/ two weeks of the year, plus multiple weekend trips.

I have only caught Sand Tigers from the surf, both on yakked and casted baits- I have heard that the Sandbar and Blacktips are a much different (Harder) fight. I assumed that the shorter boat rod would do the trick for the long, hard runs. Also, my younger brothers might have a go at a shark or two.....maybe the boat rod would increase the odds of them being able to fight a hard-runnning fish.

The boat rods are alot cheaper, but I can get another 12' Extra Heavy Ocean Master for 40% off. I can get a cheaper Ocean Master Boat Rod for 40% off too........

I just read reviews of the Ocean Master reels that I would possibly get. Some people are complaining that that drag slips on big fish. This could definitely be a problem........maybe I should just go with the Penn 114 since it is tried and true- it will not fail on me.

So the question is: Boat rod or longer surf-type rod? Maybe going with a 40-60# boat rod or a 30-50# would make it more fun compared to the 60-80# rods? The surf rod will keep it out of the waves a little bit more I'm guessing, so there would be less chance of the surf pulling slack in my line......

I dunno, just thinking out loud....

Thanks for the help...

Ben Dziwulski

God bless

I would match your rod to the line you are decide you are going to use. If you use 30 lb mono then a 30-50 class rod would be good, if you go with 65 or 100 lb braid then maybe the 50 to 80 class is the right choice.

Also remember you are going to max out the drag on the reel before you outclass the line so the 30 to 50 or 50 to 80 decision might be a moot point depending on the max drag of the reel you choose.

They have an Offshore Angler Sea Lion Stand-Up rod rated 30-80# test that is 6 foot long and will cost me 30$.

This paired with a 6/0 Penn spooled with 30 or 40lb (the free stuff they spool it with) should get the job done.

I do have a couple other questions: Where do you guys get your 20/0 Circle hooks? Bass pro does not have anything bigger than 16/0. . . Is there a local tackle store that I could pick up the right hooks at?

Do you open the gap at all on the 20/0's like you do with the 16/0's?

I used 16/0 last year and had a problem with hookups but I don't want to give up on circles altogether......

J's have worked well for me in the outer banks....but I like the fact that the circles will set themselves sometimes when the shark is dragging around the weight, and they do not belly hook them.

Ben

God bless

Ben,

Just another option on the hooks for you if $$$ conservation is in order.....

I've bought the 20/0 Mustad 39960D hooks off EBAY....

Ebay Item number: 160249306937

you can get 10 for 21.65 after shipping......

or Steve's link above...25 for 35.95 after shipping ....

Both good deals in my eyes....

I also see EAGLE CLAW LAZER SHARP CIRCLE SEA HOOKS #L2045R-20/0 listed on EBAY.........but I've never tried them....and their kinda pricey.....10 for $34.

Stan

Thanks guys....I think I will step it up to the 115L (9/0) just in case I ever want to do that long yak that you are talking about.

It will cost me 145$ instead of the usual 170$ so I can handle it.............. Also, I never know when I am going to be in more southern states battling with even bigger critters......

As for the hooks- the problem for me is that I need them by this Sunday......that is why I was wondering if there were any local shops with 20/0's that I could use. Maybe I am bad at using the circles....but the 16/0 were just too small for me and did not do a good job hooking up. Unless that online store ships super fast....I might need to find them locally.

Ben

Also, I was reading up about how the guys in Texas use Spider weights to hold their big chunk of bait. The metal prongs hold much better than traditional pyramid weights and also make it so the shark hooks themselves when they hit the bait. The release of the weight from the sand combined with the pressure of them dragging it around sets the circle hooks a high percentage of the time.

I don't think I have the materials to make the weights on my own, do surf shops have heavy 8-10 ounce spider weights?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to be prepared and not scrambling for missing pieces while I am down there.

Ben

Pyramids???

Nah, use a brick, or half a brick depending on the current.

Or use home-made concrete weights, with spikes sticking out to hold in the bottom. I have a thread in here somewhere about 'em.

Use some thread to attach, that way you can break it off and not have to wind it in.

Check out the link, maybe they can do two-day shipping. But compare the total cost, don't want it to be more than something local. I really doubt it though....

I have received numerous orders from them, they are good!

A 115, nice move. Yep, you'll be prepared for anything anywhere. You have at least 50 good years of fishing left in you, take care of the 115 and it will last until you are 80+.

BPS does have some large circles. I like the gamakatsu big eyes in 12/0 if they have them. What ever you get try to make it palm size.

for sinkers I wouldn't buy any of them at BPS, they are selling one 8 oz for $5.99, I went on ebay and got 40 for $50.

anyhow get your sinkers at a local shop, you can use large ball type trolling sinkers I've had 20oz hold fine but usually drop 2 20's out there. They are MUCH easier to reel in then a brick. 10oz will only hold on a rare occasion on a yakked bait, too much line in the water for resistance on current.

I put a fish-finder slide on my 400# Leader and have a stock of 12-14oz pyramids that I put on. Every now and then I have to put two sinkers on the swivel to hold.....

Ben, with regard to rod and reel, if you plan on using a surf stick, I would stay with a reel to match. I treid using a surf stick with one of those big reels (the large senators) and it was totally uncomfortable. They just didn't balance out very well and laying the line on the reel when a large on the line is a pita. I treid cutting off the butts of my 2 old surf sticks and they still just didn't balance out well but it did help, but I still wouldn't recomend it unless you have an old stiff surf stick that you are willing to cut. Those small sticks with huge reels, at least for me, are much more comfortable.

Good luck and cathem up this summer!

I know you can get suffix at gander mtn and you can get andes at John Henry Bait and Tackle if you prefer those lines.