7 posts in this topic

Going to launch the yaks at the locks Sunday.

Would it be recommended to fish the canal or river?

River safe enough there?

I have chik liver, crawlers and lures.

Lure recommendation?

I'll catch whatever, just looking for a good bite.

Steve,

I look at the Metro section of the Washington Post. Look for the river information, it's kinda small. The river gauge at Little Falls is saying 3.7 feet. Not bad, enough water to float you pretty good but not too much current. Gets around 4.5 or up you gotta watch out. You will run into some current there but not too much.

Watch closely if we get some thunderboomers tonight. Better fishing will be in the river but you will catch some fish in the canal.

There are lots of little rock islands out there that you can pull up to and fish or just stay in the yak and fish. Either way look for the slack water behind grass beds or rocks.

If you want bass it is hard to beat the standard mepps spinner size 03,04,or 05. in the brass with the hair tail, floating rapala, or a grub on a weedless jighead.....

Thanks Phil, will give it a whirl with some grubs, and livers.

Wouldn't mind some decent sized catfish, think canal for 'em?

Steve,

You could find catfish in either the canal or river. Yakking that stretch of river is something some of my buddies and I are talking about doing this summer. I used to wade it all the time, but some of us are gonna mess around with yaks and see what is up.

A couple of guys I know did it last year and found smallies, catfish, and bluegill behind the islands in slack water.....

Ok, thanks.

I'll give both a look-see tomorrow, maybe do both for a bit.

Gotta' see what this rain does to the level and intensity of the water.

Visited Violett yesterday. Put the yaks into the canal, didn't think they could handle the rapids on the river fully loaded. Drifted & paddled about 2 miles south. Stopped for lunch, nosed up on a log and chowed down while enjoying the sun.

Caught two micro Sunfish and one 10" Cat in the canal. Decided to portage over the hump to the river and work it upstream. Ok, that was weird.... If you head with the current downriver, you get the swirls, eddies and humps over the boulders. Well, going upstream, those spots feel REALLY weird. Kind'a feels like you are balanced on a pin, not a cool feeling.

Alright, enough of that... Did the portage back over to the canal for the trip north. Have you ever seen how a whitewater kayaker launches? Ya know, they just nose over from the top of a rock and go diving in. Um, not really a good idea in a fully loaded 11' yak. But what the hell, those that know me know that I had to try it....

(insert blood-curdling panic scream here) :eek:

Only casualty for the day was my sunglass lanyard.

During the "whitewater launch" a line with a treble snagged it while it was on my head.... DOHHH!!