6 posts in this topic

Hi all, the family and I are heading to the state park this Friday for some well deserved R&R. Wondering what to expect fishing wise, as this is the latest in the year that I've been there. Unfortunately I am not bringing the boat this year so I will be shore bound, and hoping to catch some hardhead/croaker or whatever else is biting. Anyone been there and willing to share some info? Thanks in advance.

Mike

Oh...that would kill me...Kiptopeke and no boat.....thats too bad...its this time of year that the cobes start showing up at 9' shoals. I've always fished from a boat there so I don't know what to tell you about shore and pier fishing there. I have spent alot of time drifting by the cement ships....so I'm gonna guess you have the chance of catching the same things from the beach and pier that I've caught there. Those ships are LOADED with flounder. Most are small but a blast to catch. I've also caught trout, croaker, spot striper and blues right there, so I guess you should be read for just about anything :)

yeah, not having the boat is brutal, I've gone for the past 6 years always with the boat, but usually it's April/May when we go. And we have always caught fish drifting the concrete ships and off a few of the cabbage patches right up from the ships. But sadly the boat is out of commission at the moment, so we are land locked for the weekend. :angry4:

I have fished that pier many times. It's a good place at times but can be very hard to figurre out. Fishing off this pier is always dependent on a good moving tide. When the tide is moving good you will catch a mixed bag but when it starts to slow you may as well go and take a nap cause the biting stops day and night. Once you learn the pier the Flounder fishing can be very good but you have to work for them. Croaker, Spot, Trout, Mullet and Bluefish are all there day and night but like I said it's all on the moving tide.

We are going to the campground also this weekend. The water temps are right but with all the fresh water in the bay it may be hit or miss but I got to get out of the house. I don't care if gas is over $4.00 a gallon.

Thanks for the info. Hopefully I will see you there, My boy and I will be fishing whenever we can, and if we catch fish the whole family will be down there. Its hard to miss all 5.

Mike

Thanks for the info. Hopefully I will see you there, My boy and I will be fishing whenever we can, and if we catch fish the whole family will be down there. Its hard to miss all 5.

Mike

Sure thing, sounds like my crew. Always enjoy chatting and fishing. Meeting folks from the boards is a +. We will be the ones with the big surf rods after dark soaking bait and working the rail for Flounder. Driving a blue Tacoma 4x4 gimme a shout if you see us.