13 posts in this topic

Fished A.I. Saturday nite into Sunday-Kingfish by the bucket loads-a lot of fun and action; couple doggies-Ocean water very cold-guess in the high 50's-The breeze off the ocean was cool-cold-fire was welcome.

I would like a recommendation of a light for the end of the rod-one that stays on during the cast,-easy to see,the bell system is hard to hear with my son playing his music--Thanks

Go to the dollar store and pick up the chem light bracelets (or you can order them online cheaper). The piece of tubing that is used to connect it together for the wrist...well, I cut that in two, then tape that (using electrical tape) to the spine of my rod. That way I can slide new light sticks in and only have to tape those on. Alot of the guys will actually tape the light stick straight to the spine of the rod.

I second the light sticks.

I just tape the whole connector on the tip with e-tape, one for each end of the stick, more stable, you get enough of 'em. I don't have the link on this pooter for the site where many here have purchased the sticks but someone will chime in with it.

Ok.....I'll let me secret out....I buy the 22 inch glow necklaces from Party-Party-Party for $1 a piece....They are a solid one piece....about the diameter of a pencil.......I've found green to be the best color by far..........electrical tape on one end, in the middle, and on the other end.......Those bad boys look like a jedi light saber on the end of your rod.....never get in the way....and they glow all freeking night......worth every penny, I promise you that...

Stan

22" are a tad over kill. As other said I am using the 8" bracelets with great success. I never had to change one out during the night.

22" glow sticks are "overkill" my foot. Everything we do is overkill....staying up all night waiting for 1 fish to bite when we might be nodding off. And having 8 rods between a few guys spread 100 yards down the beach...necessatates a highly visible rod.:booty: Any advantage I can get i'm gonna take it.

8" glowstick fine. 22" glowstick better.

Buck's has the 3" ones, behind the register to the right I believe. I think they're a $1 for a 2-pack. They last all night, and stay put.

22" glow sticks are "overkill" my foot. Everything we do is overkill....staying up all night waiting for 1 fish to bite when we might be nodding off. And having 8 rods between a few guys spread 100 yards down the beach...necessatates a highly visible rod.:booty: Any advantage I can get i'm gonna take it.

8" glowstick fine. 22" glowstick better.

if you have that big of spread, it becomes non economic for glowsticks that cost $1 a piece. Like Steve said 8" sticks for 4 cents a piece. My 10 rod spread cost me 40 cents for the night compared to the 10 dollars for your spread.

Honestly I fished with some pretty big groups on A.I. through the night and we all pretty much used 8" sticks or some "red eyes" and never had a problem seeing a glowstick down the beach.

The trick I use is to turn the rod 90 degrees in the holder so that the glow stick is facing your staging (seating) area.

It is very true that green is best and the only other color i would even think about using is yellow. All those fancy red,blue,purple glowsticks are horrible when it comes to seeing them at night.

Well you could use the 8" sticks and tape them end to end and get 16".

8" glow stick @ .04 each......Hell, I'll light my entire 12 footer ( less the handle) up for 60 cents........now were talkin.....especially when I'm out of beer and only able to see out of one eye...:drunken_smilie:

Jim-

Thanks for the link info above......It's much appreciated...at those prices it helps me justify the 22 incher a little more....I'll probably order my 22's from there....and have some extras for my kids to play with.....kill 2 birds with one stone.......

By the way, just bought my Avet today.....:happy3:......should have it in a week....You told me before you had someone else mag yours for you...was it at a shop you could recommend ? I'm guessing it was probably a buddy of yours, but I figured I'd ask anyway.....

I magged both of my Avets myself. I had Coop show me how to do it and he even gave me a few parts to get me started. He is the resident expert here on the Avets. Do a search on these forums and you'll find step by step instructions. It is extremely easy to do. If you are out on AI during any of the weekends send me a PM and we can hook up and i'll show you how to do it.

8" glow stick @ .04 each......Hell, I'll light my entire 12 footer ( less the handle) up for 60 cents........now were talkin.....especially when I'm out of beer and only able to see out of one eye...:drunken_smilie:

Jim-

Thanks for the link info above......It's much appreciated...at thaose prices it helps me justify the 22 incher a little more....I'll probably order my 22's from there....and have some extras for my kids to play with.....kill 2 birds with one stone.......

By the way, just bought my Avet today.....:happy3:......should have it in a week....You told me before you had someone else mag yours for you...was it at a shop you could recommend ? I'm guessing it was probably a buddy of yours, but I figured I'd ask anyway.....

thanks Jim....you sent me the links before, and it is much appreciated....I might take you up on that offer in the future though..