8 posts in this topic

Do you guys cath anything of size besides grabos aka sandtigers?

Do you guys ever get spooled?

What size reels are you guys usualy running?

What style rigs do you like to use?

Ill be making some trips in July and August and will be running out large baits on the 9/0 and 12/0, as well as small and medium size baits on my avet lx, 555gs, 4/0, and diawa SL-X50SHA.

I fish a Penn Longbeach #65, Penn 9500ss, Tica Team SST558. I usually spool them with 30# mono with a 400# Rub leader about 10-15' long, then a pre-rigged Shark Hook on a 6' coated braided steel leader. I've seen/heard of Sandbar, Dusky, Blacktip and Spinners being caught, although I must admit, the Sandtiger is by far the most common. Oh, yeah, don't forget the monster rays.

The summer fare is usually Dusky and Sandbars with Blacktips,spinners and occasional pesky atlantic sharpnose.

a 9/0 or 12/0 reel is way bigger than most people use. Most use a 4/0 or 6/0 Penn or 40 or 50 diawa size reel.

The sandtigers are usually caught close in on smaller reels, esp at night. I don't know if I recall a sandtiger caught on a yaked out bait. I am sure there have been, but its not the norm!

Do you guys cath anything of size besides grabos aka sandtigers?

Do you guys ever get spooled?

What size reels are you guys usualy running?

What style rigs do you like to use?

Ill be making some trips in July and August and will be running out large baits on the 9/0 and 12/0, as well as small and medium size baits on my avet lx, 555gs, 4/0, and diawa SL-X50SHA.

Sam and Coop have caught many Sandtigers...I've witnessed them doing it. :) And I don't think I've EVER seen either of them cast a bait for sharks.

I use 2 Penn 15/0, one with 80# and the other with 100# braid.

There is about 2500' on the 80 and about 6000' on the 100. I use 20/0 circle hooks. Obviously these are not casted baits, we yak them out day and night, fog or not. For casting, I use Penn 309 on Penn Slammer sticks. The cast is only about 80 feet due to the weight of the rig and bait. At night, the Charks are right behind the surf break so you don't need to chuck far.

We like to run 'em out with the yaks in hopes a larger critter will find it further out in deeper water. Plus, it's just plain fun, even without the crashes! Oh yeah, you might even catch a big Drum on a yakked out bait! Ya never know......

Mostly we do it 'cuz it looks cool and impresses the ladies 'cuz we're really tough guys.

LOL!!!!! :icon_pray:

Mostly we do it 'cuz it looks cool and impresses the ladies 'cuz we're really tough guys.

LOL!!!!! :icon_pray:

LOL :cool:

Yea I normaly have a good bi catch of big drum on yaked baits, Would be hoping for maybe a MD cobia while im there as well. And any of those butterfly rays i catch are goin back out cut up on the 12/0.

Rays are some tasty meat, save some for yourself!