15 posts in this topic

they have been here for like a week and a half and are showing pretty strong so far. a lot of big fish being caught. I got 1 friend of mine who has already gotten 3 or maybe even 4 by now over 75 lbs. there was a 97 last week off the beach on a yakked bait and I got another friend of mine that caught an 82 yesterday in a john boat beach launching. wish I could go fish

clear.gif

319156474-1.jpg

well, as of right now my buddy nick is leading in the teach's lair cobia tourney in the private boat division with a 75, 60, and 55 for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place! the tournament started 2 weeks ago and goes on till 7-15 I think so there is still a ways to go but that is impressive. good job nick, heck of a fisherman.

Can I expect Cobes off of corolla in late august?????

That's about the time they start to exit the Bay, so it's possible!

w00t w00t, maybe a Cobe from the yak!!!!! I can't wait...isn't summer close to over yet?????

you could catch one anytime from when they get here (end of may) until they pass us in the fall (as late as october) but august sounds good to catch one from the yak. not many, if any are caught from the beach up there. I would suggest paddling around the duck research pier or its buoys, probably up current from it and chumming with live baits under floats back in the slick. I would not use cut bait on the bottom since I think you would have too much trouble with the rays, probably too big to even get off the bottom from a kayak.

I tried a surf launch yesterday to catch a cobia but there was too much of a shore break where I was to launch. it was fine right when I arrived but after the 45 minutes or so it took me to rig everything and get ready to launch the waves picked up. I was not on a drivable beach so I had to hike the kayak and everything over the dune and I told myself if I had to bring it back to the truck I was done. waited for about 3 hours and it never got launchable. wasted a block of chum and 10 eels waiting for a break. there were a lot of boats around fishing for cobia, at one point I think I counted 24 right along the beach maybe out 3/4 a mile.

I went today and well, I lost count as to how many I saw. It was probably between 35 and 45, possibly more. I couldnt even try to count them. seeing that many is awesome. the only down side is that I think I only saw 3 or 4 legal fish (33") out of those. the biggest I saw was like 35 lbs or so and it followed my jig all the way up to the boat and turned away from it and then turned down an eel. we caught 2 and pulled one off. when I say they were small I mean small! some were as small as 18"! we kept seeing wads of little ones. we saw 2 small hammerheads, 4 or 5 green turtles and 3 or 4 leatherbacks! some of the those we saw could have been repeated sightings of the same thing but we saw them pretty far apart. a lot of life out there today. I am almost embarrassed that we only caught 2 out of that many but they were very small and I think the bucktails were too big for most of them and scared them off mostly. oh well. maybe back at it tomorrow.

I think that will soon be the norm man, lots of people chase and kill big cobes and more doing it everyday. These gas prices will safe a lot of fish.

Jeff, when you going to corrolla? I'll be in corrolla around the same time for a week yaking for shark and whatever else may be around.