3 posts in this topic

Not sure if I should've put this in tackle or Surf - so feel free to move it if you deem appropriate...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just trying to pick the brains of some of you surf veterens....

I notice a lot of folks on here mention using pyramid sinkers - since i started last year, i've always used hurricane sinkers. Those of you that prefer pyramids- what's the reason? Also- I know a lot of the same folks use a 8nbait (or more) alot - but is it ALWAYS necessary in the spring and fall on assateague? Or is that so you're prepared for the strongest currents? Or that your rods just cast better with that much weight?

In other words, assuming your rod cast well with less weight, would 5 or 6 oz work for the majority of time and you need 8 oz on particularly rough days or strong current? Or is 8oz almost always necessary?

Also - does anyone use sputnik type sinkers to hold bottom with less weight?

Reason I ask all this is i'm not sure if my rods can cast 8oz comfortably (one of them is rated up to 7oz another is rated up to 8oz but i've never tried over 6 with either).

A hurricane will give you less tumble than a standard pyramid. Often times you don't need the extra weight of a hurricane to hold bottom though. It's something you have to experiment with after your first cast that day. Up the beach a mile the current might take a 10 away but where you are you might hold with a 4, ya never know. Time of year (to me) hasn't seemed to matter. I'll default to Coop for that question, he lives on AI.

Sputnik, get a couple and try 'em out, they work for me. Storage is a pain in the backside though....

It's always best to have a little bit of everything at your disposal.

One day "this" might work, 6 hours later, "that" will work.

You can also take a smaller weight of any type, drill a hole in it and shove a little piece of coat hangar through, ala sputnik.

I have some el-cheapo 25 year old junk rods rated for 4 oz but they toss 8nbait no problem.

The only time you can have too much weight with you is with checked baggage!!

It's always best to have a little bit of everything at your disposal.

One day "this" might work, 6 hours later, "that" will work.

That sums it up get alittle of each and try them out.

Last Thursday held with 4 to 5 oz the next day 8 to 10 oz ya never know....