7 posts in this topic

Well since I don't get down as much as I would like I don't cast near as well as I would like to. Did something different this weekend that added distance. Couldn't really pace it off but the bait was in the air a lot longer and by looking at the spool it sure seemed like I was throwing further.

I do the otg cast and always seem to not get a wide enough arc. Always trying to get more arc/distance from the payload. So I started the cast with my arms low. Hanging straight down. Start the cast by taking the leading shoulder and lifting up and out and keeping my leading arm straight. Kinda a cross between a couple of different casts. Anyway I think that by lifting my shoulder up and having the arms following I am creating more arc. The payload actually lifts up and swings toward me a bit and then swings behind me and up and out.

I had three rods going. A normal chunk, a BIG chunk, and a giant head/body on my heaver that really surprised me. For me I was chucking that smaller chunk a long way,

The downfall with this cast is it kinda feels like your shoulder is gonna come out of it's socket after a few hours.:dontknow::dontknow::dontknow::dontknow:

That's great, Phil. It is nice to get that extra distance when you need it.

I've been trying different casts as well and I can't quite figure which technique is better. I guess I'll just have to get out there and practice more. :icon_thumleft:

best way for me is to vary my rigs and bait size, I still toss the same no matter what.

grass fishing helps, don't get me wrong but once you put a hunk of meat on there it all flies out the window.

as a side note after 4 days fishing last week I was flat out launching by yesterday, now I just need to fish more so I can keep it going.

Here is a pic of what I am trying to do. Keep the hands down low then raise my arms back and straight up over my head and out to sea. For me anyway it creates a lot more arc. Keep the right arm straight thru the cast and punch/pull at the end. Seems like I get a lot more out of a cast.

baits066-1.jpg

on the north side it works fine, if you have to wade then you're kind of screwed.

You are right Ben......but my area is the north end anyway for now. One thing I really like is I was throwing BIG baits out further than before. Once I got the feeling we were sharkin instead of looking for stripes I was pitching a big head with a couple inches of body on the heaver. And I was throwing it plenty long enough to get into trouble.

On the other rod I was throwing a big chunk of body. Not trying to cut it down for casting purposes, and still chucking it pretty good. My last rod I was throwing a pretty big chunk and sailing it nicely. The first night there was little wind. So I was thinking maybe it was just the calm evening. Next night we had S/SE and I was really surprised that the distance was still good.....

Gonna stick with this and see if I can improve it some more next time down.

cool deal, get it ready for September...you have all summer to practice on the sharks.