11 posts in this topic

I was catching non-stop doggies last week, so after gut hooking two of them, I decided I was fish hungry. I cleaned them right on the beach, and iced them down.

The next day, I cut them into chunks, marinated them in olive oil, sea salt, freshly ground pepper and fresh lemon for a few hours. I also threw on a few steaks just in case my experiment didn't turn out as planned. (plus, Carrie won't even touch a doggie)

I must say, it was exceptionally good! I put a little butter on while cooking and it was very tender, great flavor (simple ingredients) and I will definitely do it again. :icon_thumleft:

Here are also a few pictures of some of the striper from this past weekend, tuna, steaks and corn.

grilling_maryland_dog_fish.jpg.0eba312f2

Grilling_maryland_Striper.jpg.2455424359

samanthas_watermellon.jpg.e63cfe5c8cecad

I love to grill! :)

Dinner at Sams house!!!!!!!

I think you're going to need a bigger grill and lots more charcoal!

Looks like Samantha likes wattahmellon!

Guess I missed out on the bigger doggies.

I guess I'm gonna have to try it as well here sooner or later!

I forgot to mention I had soaked some home cut wild cherry chunks to throw on the coals. Made for a nice, sweet smoky flavor. Thanks for Skylar for the advice. :)

Did you grill the doggie? Try cutting them into 1" chunks, bread them with flour, salt, and pepper, then deep frying them. They make great fish nuggets to serve either as a meal or an appetizer, or even as a "mystery dish" at a covered dish dinner.

The nuggets sound good, thanks!

Do you usually skin them, fillet them, steak-um, .... what?

Do you cook them with the skin on? Do you remove the skin AFTER you cook them??

doggies are the most common fish used for fish n' chips in the U.K. there good eatin bub.

They take spices very well. I like them deepfried with 1/2 flour,1/2 potato flakes and old bay in peanut oil. you will never eat a crispier crust. Strain the oil when its cool and just mark it for fish and you can use it 3-4 times. just don't burn it as with any oil.