9 posts in this topic

I have been trying to get a job as a mate so I have been showing up at 4:30 and helping the mates and captains with some of the ice and bait. yesterday one of my buddies Arch on the pelican said I could ride along and be an observer, which was my first ride out this year. the mate showed up just in time to leave the dock and as Arch told me later, I was almost solo. it was a beautiful ride and as my first trip offshore for the year it was that much better. fishing was slow at first with only 1 dolphin in like 3 hours, then all hell busted loose. there were 4 anglers on the boat and we got 10 bigeye tuna bites at the same time! Arch told me to not worry about learning anything and just to reel in a fish. there were only 3 chairs so at first there was 3 of them in the chairs fighting fish, me standing up getting castrated with trolling gear moving around the boat, and there were 5 more rods doubled over in the holders. lines were crossing and it was just absolutely crazy. they came up one at a time and we had a couple pull off. after a while it was just me and 1 other person in the chair fighting our fish. these were the biggest of all of them. I fought mine for 45 - 60 minutes and got mine up to the boat 8 times only for him to dive again. we stuck him on the 9th time and when we got him in we saw where the leader was all chafed up from rubbing on the boat and it was obvious that that was our last chance to get him. well, we ended up getting 8 out of the 10, which is an awesome ratio. we were driving back with the 2 biggest laying in the deck since the fish box was overflowing and tied down. at the end of the day weighed in at 771 total pounds of tuna with 4 of them going over 100 pounds for citations. mine was 106 lbs. I stayed after to clean the boat and didnt get any fish but it doesnt matter, it was an awesome time.

Nice job!

8 of 10 is pretty dag on good, considering they could have made spaghetti out of all the lines if they decided to!

I would have been one whipped puppy after that fight!!!

Get any pictures???

Great Job, Matt! I know you've needed that for a while. :icon_thumleft:

8 out of 10 is fantastic, especially with 100 pound bigeyes. no pictures, I didnt bring the camera since I thought I would just be working. I actually wasnt expecting to go at all. I forgot my hat and sunglasses too and only brought 2 bottles of water and 1 granola bar. I wish I had a video rather than a picture of it. it looked like it was raining washing machines behind the boat when they bit, especially the spreader bar with like 14 squids on it. and you should have seen the chaos in the cockpit with the tuna running around in circles getting all tangled up. they could have done a lot more damage than they did but Arch is an awesome captain with expert boat handling skills and the ability to catch multiple fish. there was one instance where there were like 3 tuna behind the boat and mine swam up to the front of the boat at about 25 degrees (if the bow is 0 degrees) and my line almost kept getting caught in the dangling squid daisy chain when he was going from front to back. it was truly a mess, I am SO glad the mate eventually showed up. he was late and I was about 2 minutes away from being the mate and I dont think I could have handled it my myself. really, I didnt want to real one in. I know how tough they are. at least they were small for bigeyes. on the way out to the grounds the mate said "I hope we get like 7 bigeyes hit at once" I told him I didnt want to fight one so 4 on at once would be fine with me since there were only 4 in the party.

heres the picture, I was not in the picture since I was cleaning the boat. The guy in the green shirt was the captain, Arch Bracher. a very happy 4 person party.

clear.gif