5 posts in this topic

hi ! welive in athens,ga and normally make 2 keys and 1 bimini trip a year always renting a boat and shipping the gear.last fall i got a 2001 mako w/a w/ a 250 merc. i would like to base it in savannah but dont know enough abought the offshore scene other than i will probably have to go 20 mi out to troll or bottom fish . can anyone fill me in ? we really dont like inshore fishing.

Thanks , saltydogfish:confused:

I fish the Maryland and Delaware offshore waters in an older 23 foot wellcraft for tuna and dolphin. I typically venture 30 to 50 miles offshore. Safety equipment should be at the top of your priorities anytime you leave sight of land. I carry a hard wired GPS as well as a backup handheld unit. I have a hard wired VHF radio and a handheld backup unit. I am lucky enough to have fished with many of the Ocean City Fishing Center charter capts. that I always have someone in the area I am fishing that I can count on for help. Try to use the buddy system and fish with someone near you to assist if you need it. Your boat should be adequate to fish the area you are talking about. Get the latest weather and wave reports from NOAA bouy reports in your area and dont exceed your operating expertise. Todays boats can usually handle worse conditions than the operators of the boats so it is easy to get in trouble if you venture out in iffy weather. The number one concern on any offshore venture is fuel capacity, figure the amount of fuel needed to reach and return from your fishing area, the amount you will spend trolling, and allow an additional minimum of 25% for reserve. Also the most important advice I can give is to enroll in a Sea Tow service such as TowBoatUS. The $150 a year is a bargain compared to a $750 tow bill. Good luck and Good fishing.

Off Savannah, I believe it stays shallow for a long ways. Like 60 miles to the 20 fathom line? I could be wrong though.

I fish near shore in Savannah all the time. We have artificial reefs that start about 7 miles off coast. For a full listing of reefs the Dept of Resources has a pamphlet complete with the GPS coordinates at:

http://crd.dnr.state.ga.us/assets/documents/ReefBooklet.pdf

The Snapper banks is a live bottom area about 30 miles off shore filled with Snapper (duh) and grouper and other bottom fish. And the Gulf Stream is about 60 mi off the coast.

near shore we catch Shark, King mackrel, Spanish mackrel, redfish, snapper, blacksea bass, sheepshead, grunts, whiting, croaker, flounder etc.

I am just joining this site but anyone can message me for tips on near shore GA fishing. I also started a website but no message board at www.sharkfighter.com

Rob

I understand you have to go VERY FAR offshore to get into the Tuna, etc... The Gulf Stream water is very far off the shore line in Savannah. If you look at the map - Savannah is tucked in and the GS jets out past.

I remember hearing this from someone that fished both NC and GA.