40 posts in this topic

This had been an excellent week for striper fishing on the beachfront. If you get the chance, go fish!

Heard a couple reports yesterday of some folks getting mutiple fish and saw a nice fatty this morning that was brought by the shop for ice.

Congrats to all who got into them.

GO FISH!

Hopefully they'll be there for the fling this weekend. It'd be NICE to see some fish caught at a fling! We should do it this late every year.

Good deal on the fish this morning. It gives me back a little hope that the WEST wind steals... :icon_scratch:

Sam, he actually had 2 on the line at one time this morning. He doesn't post reports often, even when he catches...excellent catcherman...but hopefully he will, I'll let him tell the story.

Hit AI this past tuesday and wensday, Tue met up with Sam, it was nice fishin with ya again. It has been a while. Anyway not much to report, I had what sam and I believed to be a small sand tiger early on and a few doggies and skate. We believe it was a sand tiger because of the spots and gettin bite off. As for wens, pretty much the same doggies and skate.

Amanda and I fished fished with Fishaholic, Trowpa yesterday from around 7:30pm till around 4:30am. Had a couple really nice hits and landed 1 finally! 37"

Fished heads all night, a chunk never saw the water. Skates and doggies where pretty bad and moving baits around all night.

100_0247--RESIZED.gif.b89d46679dfbb0f476

Congrats Jim...Nice fish!!! It's turning into a really great spring run!

Thanks for not stealing my Thunder Jim!!!!! It was great to finally get out to the beach again, as well as seeing all of you again. Steve, don't worry, you now just have to lose one, then lose one in the suds and you'll finally get one right???? Won't go into details, Jim pretty much explained it, except the INSANE amounts of rain w/lightning we got right after you left....so close that you were probably still airing up. Jim beat me by 1/2 in. We stopped by to pay Bev for the bunker she so kindly left out for us (thanks again bev) And we officially weighed and measured it. 36.5" 15lb 9oz. Its been a while since I landed a good Striper on a surf rod (heh, anyone can do it from a boat). Good Luck tomorrow....I hope they stay in for you and everyone gets some meat for the freezer!!!!! Wish I could be there.

36.5in15lb9ozstriper.jpg.87a8e84490d73fb

Striperonbeach.jpg.0526f8ad8b8082c5cb1fb

5852a522a914c_unhookingstriper.jpg.fd9af

Yep - nice job Jim. Hope the migraine is better today.

fishalolic(jeff) had one too around 2am - 35" i think. I'm sure Jeff will be posting a pic somewhere.

Myself? the curse continues...lol but i still enjoyed getting out and seeing a fish landed.

Nice work guys! looks like nightime is the right time. Fished Wed. day and off tide not much. Good weather though!:cool:

Nice work guys! looks like nightime is the right time. Fished Wed. day and off tide not much. Good weather though!:cool:

Mine was caught about an hour before high tide (incoming) and fishaholics was caught about 3 hours after high tide (outgoing)

I seen a lot of reports from different boards and the times are all over the place. Coops MONSTER was caught in the middle of the afternoon.

I think its just being in the right place at the right time. If I had to pick a time it would be right before sunup and at dusk.

Great job, guys!!! :icon_thumright:

NICE NICE NICE!!! I'm pretty psyched for tomommow!

Way to go Jim!!! Jeff sent me a text message this morning and then we spoke. You guys were real troopers with all the rain and lightening. Glad you got into em!! :D

Way to go Jim!!! Jeff sent me a text message this morning and then we spoke. You guys were real troopers with all the rain and lightening. Glad you got into em!! :D

We dealt with the rain, it really wasn't too bad throughout the night. We bugged out just before the lighting came.

Coop first off thanks for the ice and trash bags and hes right I don't post much but will chime in from time to time.

Wednesday night after Tyler’s baseball game I decide to take the 11 year old fishing overnight to Assateague Island. In reward for some of his school work and other things not to mention he just pitched 5 innings striking out 14 with no hits and just 2 walks. It’s now 7:55 and I’m a long way from Ocean City, I call Bev thanks for the bunker. We pack the truck and head out about 9:30 we arrive at the beach around 12:00 AM talked to two guys coming off and they said that the sand blasting them chased them off. Not a good omen to start. We air down and head down the beach I fished a few spots between 12 and 4 ish but was not happy with the depth of the water I found. Knowing that it would start to turn the light orange color very soon I headed up island again and stopped at what I thought looked like a little deeper water. Let’s face it in the dark without scouting in the daylight at a lower tide it’s really just a crap shoot. So I set out the rods with fresh bait at about 4:50 or so as I’m watching the rods sitting in the chair the lack of sleep finally broke me down. I don’t care what you say if I sit down those red eye rod lights put me to sleep. Luckily I set the spikes close to the truck. I’m awaking by the sound of the clicker going off on one of my reels and as I finally clear the blurry vision from my eyes not one but two of the rods are bend over and screaming. Since one of the rods was in the rack on the front of the truck with no chance of coming out I decided to sprint to the rod that looked like it could be pulled from the sand spike any second and beached a 42 inch 27 plus pound striper at 5:30 in the morning. Now the funny thing is my partner told me Dad there’s no way I’m sleeping tonight I’ll stay in the chair next to you was curled up in a ball in the back seat of the crew cab and no amount of screaming was going to ruin his beauty rest because believe me I screamed his name a lot. But I’m sure if I had whispered so Tyler do you want to order the new F3 he would have heard it. After that we caught some blues in the 18 inch range.

Fished Delaware from 3r’s north on the way home with some friends and caught skate and big sand sharks until heading home around 3:30.

Playing hooky with the son priceless, he’s a funny guy as he was catching the big dogs all he kept saying is that line from jaws forget the barrels were going to need a bigger boat.

Here’s the fish on the back of the truck.

5852a522afb7f_May8th.jpg.b9b966ea7beec63

Nice fish and nice story. Too bad the sleeping Tiger didn't get into one of the Stripers!

Should be schweeet tomorrow....

Great job to all, I hope they are still around next weekend!

Fished south of the bull pen and hooked up with 3 keepers 36,38,and 39 1/2. My son caught the 36 and the 39 1/2. had them weighed in at bucks. What a day!!!!! We were using bunker chunks and heads. Also tried mud shad, got hits on all three baits. Will post more later, going fishing NOW......

Jeff, nice fish!!

Leemo, Thats some catching!!

You must have cut them off at the pass from us, cause I couldn't buy a hit right above ya!

Nice job!!:icon_thumleft:

Yesterday at the fling came up empty on the catch. One Stripe was brought in before 8 am a bit below us.

Looked like there were about 40 lines out with chunks and heads. Off & on rain, wind from NW swinging to E by nightfall. Nothing caught between 8 am and when we left at 9:30 pm.

Well, Sam did have a snagfish that pulled hard (lost it) and I fought a giant grassfish, what a fight to see! It sure kept popping the rod. But I did manage to get it beached.

Tried this morning at 121st street. Gentle onshore breeze, looked real fishy but nada.

Spoke to Esox at the Assateague Island walkover and he was painting zilch this morning, dunno' how the PM went.