6 posts in this topic

5/1/08

I was on the beach from 9am-2pm, caught only huge dogfish, seen some skates and one small bluefish caught. I used mullet and bw's.But someone said high tide was at 5pm so fishing might have gotten better.wind was pretty brisk out of the sse maybe 10-15(guess)

Chris

R&R,

Thanks for the report.

That sounds like my 3-Rs trip last night before the storm hit. I had three rods set up with chunks and heads and never got a chance to sit down in 3.5 hours. Big skates and large smooth doggies the whole time. At least the smoothies put up a better fight that the spinys

3R's is still a dog show, many are over 40". A few bluefish and small stripers this week as well as the occasional skate. I saw at least 3 small sandbar sharks caught the last couple of days.

Yep, I fished 3-rs last saturday and it was non-stop smooth dogfish. At least they put up a fight unlike the spinys. I caught the largest smoothie I have ever seen in my life. It was a hair under 48". It almost ripped my pole out of the spike. It ran two or three short runs and shook it's head a few times. The guy next to me ran over and was screaming that I had the Delaware record striper. I thought he was right for a few minutes, the the fight turned into pulling an old tire up out of the mud. The adrenalin sure was pumping for a few minutes.

Since the stripers are so scarce at 3R's I am enjoying the action, not to mention the great fillets, from the large Smooth Dogfish. Many of the ones large enough to eat this time of the year are pregnant females ready to give birth. If you keep them and clean them on the beach it is easy to remove the pups alive and release them in the surf. Be careful not to cut very deep when you cut the sides of the fish. These pups are fully developed and will rapidly swim away when released. I released 13 pups on Monday afternoon from two of the doggies I caught and all of them just took off out to sea like a bat out of hell when released.

It was a dogapalooza again last night. I could barely fish two rods the action was so heavy. Smooth doggies up to 48" from within 5 minutes of casting the first rod.