59 posts in this topic

Nice Job!!!!! Looks like I headed out to the wrong body of water. We fished the bay sat and sunday From HS Buoy just north of Point No Point down to Buoy 70. Not all at once, but that was the general area. We were fishing in Graham's Maycraft 1800 CC. Sunday we decided not to stay out long as 2-4 was a little much for that boat. We did manage a keeper on sat @ about 35" and a Throwback on sunday @ 25" Action was pretty slow. We stopped and tried drifting and anchoring around the lighthouse on sat afternoon for some bottom fishing and jigging with no luck. The wind and the waves started picking up. We headed back into St Jerome Creek and parked the boat on the sandbar at the mouth where Shannon managed a baby ray. Then we proceeded to head back into the marina where they allowed us (and everyone else fishing the weekend) to camp. It was a great time, there were several groups there fishing the MSSA Tournament. They had campers set up and were in the process of frying up some of the fresh striper caught that day. We had Breaded Fried striper, Blackened Striper, Oysters, Shrimp...not bad for 3 guys who didn't pack any food with them and were just planning on running to the store for sandwich meat :) Oh yeah...forgot about the probably 3 cases of beer :). Here are some pictures from the weekend.

5852a5225365d_Graham35instriper2.jpg.7cb

5852a52259cbb_ShannonRay2.jpg.f046b5fa97

Sunset1.jpg.82723af7d821244de216ccb4b532

5852a522628af_Parkedonbar5.jpg.26cf7c5d4

Nothing like setting the pace Coop! Congrats on landing that monster!!

:icon_thumright:

Dianne

Thanks for the pics and reports, Jeff.

Yeah, I fished over a hundred hours last fall fishing for stripers and not one.. A little over three hours last night and non stop. I hated to leave with that E wind and rough water... I hope they stay in close for a little longer.

Wow nice job guys!

All i'm asking for is one fish off AI - maybe this weekend will be it....you are giving me hope!

I must be doing something wrong. Fished 4 hours Sun evening and then Mon am another 4 hours. Only one Sand Shark/Dogfish. Used bunker chunks, #8 hooks, casted right behind the breakers, then again about the middle of the slough, then again as far as I can cast. Changed bait every 10-15 minutes. Just going to keep on trying. I really want to tap into some striper action at Assateague.

I must be doing something wrong. Fished 4 hours Sun evening and then Mon am another 4 hours. Only one Sand Shark/Dogfish. Used bunker chunks, #8 hooks, casted right behind the breakers, then again about the middle of the slough, then again as far as I can cast. Changed bait every 10-15 minutes. Just going to keep on trying. I really want to tap into some striper action at Assateague.

Time on the sand will catch fish. A lot of the fish I heard about being caught where on bunker heads, not chunks. I usually always try to have at least one head out.

On sunday I had 4 rods out, Bunker Chunk, Bunker Head, Whole Mullet and Clam. From here on out it will be at least 2 heads out. Only skates for me! So your not the only one who didn't catch anything.

From now until the end of May I would have all heads out, yes you waste a lot of bait but do you want to save money or catch fish?

heads catch stripers period, can't tell you why but they do. If you are fishing 4 rods or less all heads for stripers.

I personally prefer 2 chunks 2 heads, but if skates/doggies are thick, big heads and big hooks and nothing else. Skates and doggies can rip apart a chunk in no time, and more times then not, they seem to be thick when stripers are around.

what about a big juicy Bloodworm? I know thats the bait of choice in the bay....But I can't say I've ever tried it from the surf

bloods early for the prespwan guys worked for me in the past. These big girls are down about 10-15lbs, exhausted, and are looking for the largest easy meal they can find...bunker head for me. I'd toss a whole one if I could get it more then 50 yards.

then again I haven't caught a fish this year so don't listen to me...listen to Coop and Sam

I took my buddy Matt out to Assateague Island for a few hours and it was my Striper Fishing dream evening. Five Stripers at 47", 44" 40", 34", 33".. I forgot my camera and ended up finding my cell phone in the wash.:angry4:

Luckily, Matt had his camera phone, so I have a little proof. An excellent night... All fished released except the 33". Having fresh tomorrow night!

Thanks from all us fishermen for releasing those big girls...it takes some stones. Fish karma will pay you back.

Thanks from all us fishermen for releasing those big girls...it takes some stones. Fish karma will pay you back.

Ditto... Its real satisfying to release a fish over 40"... That is my new standard. :) Unless it could be a record.. LOL

way to go!!!!! i fished AI fri. & sat. two rods heads two rods chunks nada but skates & doggies & fly bites!!!!!

Nice Sam and here I thought you were pulling your hair out at your keyboard doing whatever you webmaster guys do with this site and you're doing an end around catching bunches of stripers. Heading out tomorrow with the bugs, west winds and skates. Hope I can get some monster bunker heads for the suckfish. Awesome report. You and Koss caught half the fish on the island. Hope you saved me one.

Fished from yesterday morning till this morning.

Biggest was 42", most were in the mid 30's, pretty steady bite all night, with not that many doggies or skates.

I will post the slideshow of pics in a lil bit.

Fished the beach this afternoon for a couple of hours. Saw one nice fish caught. I caught a nice smooth doggie. Great day Tomorrow is another day.

EDM,,,nice slideshow, way to catchem up!

Very nice presentation, thank you for sharing it with us.

Looks like you had a great time!

Nice job! Thanks for the pictures. :)

CG, when fishin is hot, most everything else gets put on hold... Much to my wife's dismay. :eusa_shifty:

Heard of at least a dozen more fish caught on the isle today. I fished with Dave for a few hours this evening and no stripes for us tonight. However, like Fred said, "Tomorrow is another day" and I just happen to be off work! :icon_syda:

You guys are killing me, this weekend cannot come soon enough!!!!!

Leave one for me please!:glasses1:

What's funny is that there were still fish on the flats this weekend so the best is yet to come. The first slug is usually the biggest, the numbers follow. I sure didn't think it would start like this though. I have a feeling this little front may slow it down a bit. Fish in front of it for sure.

The heads are pretty big. Do you guys use #10 and up hooks? Also it seems like the heads last much longer than chunks. Cab I just leave them out there for a while? 30+ minutes? Thanks, sometimes i think the heads are too big to use. Pat

heads will usually last a lot longer than the chunks. Unless the trash is really aggressive or the crabs are thick.

Usually they kinda washout before they are off the hook. I usually check my heads every 20 to 30 minutes. When its cold out and no crabs are around heads can last over an hour easily. I wouldn't recommend leaving them out for an hour though.

Those stripers you want to catch have huge mouths, much bigger than you realize. I haven't seen a head too big yet.

First post here. I went fishing with Sam on Monday May 5th. Wanted to let everyone know how well we/sam did. He caught 47in., 44in., 40in, 34in., and 33in. stripers :icon_pray:. We have cell phone pictures of a few of them which I think he may post. He also caught 3 sand shark. I caught 1 stinking sand shark:evil1:. We went at about 1830 to about 2330 when I got wife nerfed and had to leave. We were using cut bunker. I believe 4 of the 5 stripers were caught on the body piece and the other on the head. We drove on Assateague and went about a mile south. That’s all i got, sam let me know if missed anything.