13 posts in this topic

I swear I have a 12 a 10 and a 9 foot rod I was playing around with this weekend from the Easter Bay shore line. When it came to throwing them out with light weights and some blood worms on them I could heave them a country mile. But................Add a little weight like a bunker head and man o man I swear I could throw them further without the stinkin rod . Also my finger that releases the string is starting to get some feeling back into it. Anyone know of anywhere on the web that gives tips for heavy weight casting on longer rods? Thanks:binkybaby:

you could always try the Trowpa Running start cast? It seemed to have worked for him while he figured out the techniques :)

Also, those thumb-dinger thingys work just as well on your index finger as they do on your thumb.

Good luck!

bingo, thumbdinger on the index finger.

as far as tips, it really depends on your gear. If the rods aren't built for it you might as well toss it by hand.

Never thought about sliding it over for the ol index finger ...Tanks.......as far as the rods go they are your typical average price surf rods and I think they could handle a little weight without snapping.............or at least I hope they do. I might try the running start at least that way I could get some forward momentum going in my favor:help:

Breakaway Cannon's are a necessity for casting any significant weight with a spinning rod!

The cost about 20 bucks and you tape it to the rod right in front of the reel seat.

Never thought about sliding it over for the ol index finger ...Tanks.......as far as the rods go they are your typical average price surf rods and I think they could handle a little weight without snapping.............or at least I hope they do. I might try the running start at least that way I could get some forward momentum going in my favor:help:

I was joking about the running start, its actually pretty dangerous....Never saw trowpa do it, but I've seen plenty of people trip doing the run (especially in waders)...not to mention you lose alot of the forward momentum when you hit the water and slow down......I would recommend going out to a field....with the weight your rod is rated for (it should say it on the blank near the foregrip) and just cast...cast cast....check your line, you won't get good casts if your line is rated too high too....plus, in my experience the thicker line is going to come of your finger harder and will sting a bit more. You'll notice that even if your rod is rated 2-8oz, it may cast better with 6. Every rod has a sweet spot so keep that in mind...If you have to cast 12 to hold bottom, just know you can't sling it like you can a 6....

One thing to add....

If you are casting braid, I would strongly recommend protection for your string finger. Braid will cut you to the bone if you slip up.

Been there, done that, but only once!

IF you are casting with braid use duck tape to tape your finger up with works for me. LETS GO FLYERS. :boxing:

IF you are casting with braid use duck tape to tape your finger up with works for me. LETS GO FLYERS. :boxing:

nay, get an extra large Thumb Dinger to protect your index finger if throwing spinning gear wth braid or mono.:icon_thumleft:......ducktape, flex wrap and all those other things are Bad for the environment:angry7:

There is alot of good advice for you on this thread. Get or use Randy's Thumbdinger on your finger and get out there to a football field that has the lines visible. Yeh -you will get the "looks" from people who think your nuts, but do it anyway. Take your time and work through the weight ratings of your rods until you find your best combinations. You might think this is a lot of work, and it can be, but it is well worth it. You will probably get to a point where you say to yourself "OK, this is what this rod can really do". And, probably find yourself wanting a heavier set up at some point.

Good Luck!

stiffer isn't always better but unless you practice a lot you'll generally toss better with a stouter rod. My first couple trips out I throw farther with my ocean master cheap-o's (stiff) then I do with the $400+ rods...after about 2-3 days fishing I catch up and then come back to form.

Thanks for the info guys I will be practicing:eusa_dance: