11 posts in this topic

I finally received the blank I ordered from Acid Rod on March 7th, it showed up on Thursday. :angry5:

I have it laid out , but my question is this: Where do I put the guides in relation to the spine if I am making this blank a conventional heaver ? I have read one "guide", but it is not specific to making a conventional surf heaver.

Any advice on this is appreciated.

I make the rod softest in the direction it would be fighting the fish, and strongest in the load for a cast.

Once you find it, place the rods on a heaver on the same side, for spinners it goes opposite.

I make the rod softest in the direction it would be fighting the fish, and strongest in the load for a cast.

Once you find it, place the rods on a heaver on the same side, for spinners it goes opposite.

Do you mean guides instead of rods here?

yes I meant guides sorry.

I didn't underwrap at first and didn't have any problems but now I underwrap all my stuff. For the weight it saves (which is minimal) it is worth it for me to make it bulletproof. If it were my 1509 I would underwrap it, but that's just me.

I know a lot of people don't underwrap and I was trying to think of a way to explain to you why I do it. Unless you've snapped a heaver behind your head on a cast you won't get it...now I do everything I can to prevent anything like that from happening again.

I fish alone a lot and a sinker to the back of the head while standing in the wash would be deadly.

it depends what color, not always.

I like my rods to be a little more simple so usually the underwraps are the same color as the overs and only under the guide feet not all the way between the guides.

Madiera a thread you have to CP, it is like silk but really good stuff. I also use a lot of NCP stuff.

Are under wraps necessary on a heaver ?

Underwraps are not as long as you properly prep the guide foot...get rid of the burrs, which should be done regardless, underwrap or no underwrap.

I like underwraps because it gives you a pop of more color.

then on a conventional rod, the rod will bend the easiest towards the water and the guides and seat will be on top towards me , correct?