37 posts in this topic

Fished A.I. this morning from about 6:30 to 8:30. Had a few hits and misses, two skates and a 20" blue. Maybe his bigger brothers and sisters will be here soon. It looks promising anyway.

The spring fishing season is starting to get a little active. A few blues are being caught in the surf and flounder are starting to show up in the back bays. Feel free to post your reports here, fish or no fish.

Hittin' the surf for the first time this year next weekend. Prolly fishing Keybox Rd. or somewhere in that area.... anybody have any good reports of fishing or tips?

I fished Assateague surf on Friday and could not hold bottom with 10 oz so I ran into ocean city to the 4th street bulkhead and tried for tog. I saw guys on the end of the bulkhead catch a few on the end of the incoming tide but didnt catch any myself. Did become a grand-dad for the first time that evening so that made up for the lack of fish.

Fished the back bay from Eagles Nest to the inlet, from Harbor Island to about 20th st on Saturday, not a bite but saw several tog caught along the shore around 4th street while fishing. These were being caught at low slack tide when I was there. I again had to fly the skunk flag back to the boat ramp. Found out a few things to fix on the boat before the offshore season starts.

The 100 fathom looks to be about 61!!

Maybe this blow will kick it in gear for inshore.

Heard of some Blue action near the mouth of the CB, no report of size though.

May...possibly the last few days of April guys, blues could be had though.

We fished two opening days in the bay. We fished with Captain Mike Conner on Bills for Bills the opening day. We were trolling 26 rods. We boated about 16 fish and limited out, the rest were released. The Second day we fished on the Reel Hus II 4 people on board out of Kent island marina. We left the dock at 7:30 and limited out at 8:45. We were trolling 16 rods. We have had this happen once before. The depth finder showed 16 feet of water in 35 feet area. The bait fish were thick in the area we were fishing. We got back to the dock and missed the showers that started blowing up... 2 days and the limit both days.

Rockfishing_2008_Dad_5.jpg.332c289aaa2f9

Rockfishing_2008_MATT_TAM.jpg.103458e070

5852a5212060f_Rockfishing_2008_DAD__JAN.

Rockfishing_2008_003.jpg.4e55aa5eee49952

Rockfishing_2008_BILLS4BILLS_MATT.jpg.ce

Nice Job everyone! :icon_thumleft:

Glad to see some fish!

Nice catch, good lookin' Croaks!

Looked like a great day to have the family out.

Nice catch, good lookin' Croaks!

Looked like a great day to have the family out.

Thanks! It was a beautifull day for the kids,with lots of firsts: that was my 7yr olds first ever rock(33") and my 12 yr olds biggest yet at 36", and a friend of mine caught his first and biggest rock ever it was 39 1/2"(pics to come) so that made it all worth while!! Me catching fish was just a bonus.:icon_thumright:

Thanks! It was a beautifull day for the kids,with lots of firsts: that was my 7yr olds first ever rock(33") and my 12 yr olds biggest yet at 36", and a friend of mine caught his first and biggest rock ever it was 39 1/2"(pics to come) so that made it all worth while!! Me catching fish was just a bonus.:icon_thumright:

If you don't mind sharing, where were you fishing at?

fished just south of the bullpen today at the top of the incoming tide and had a good bite on bluefish 16-18 inches. Caught them on Berkley Gulp 4" sand eels in chartreuse color. only fished this area for about an hour but caught 4 bluefish and had one bite me off in the suds.

fished just south of the bullpen today at the top of the incoming tide and had a good bite on bluefish 16-18 inches. Caught them on Berkley Gulp 4" sand eels in chartreuse color. only fished this area for about an hour but caught 4 bluefish and had one bite me off in the suds.

thats the first report I heard that those gulp sand eels actually caught something. Was it sand eels or worms? I don't think I ever seen the sand eels now that I think about it.

I know I tried the bloodworm gulp and the crabs didn't even want to touch it.

Did you have a spinner on the lure?

I will try the Redfish Magic soon, got every possible color combo.

I finally got a day to get out and play in the sand. I probably only sat down 15% of the time as apposed to my usual 80%. Pretty much non stop bluefish action with most of them around 20". Once the sun set, HUGE doggies non stop. Good day on the beach. :icon_thumleft:

I was just fishing the sand eels on a hook with a small round chartreuse float, no spinner blade or anything else. I have also had great luck with the gulp peeler crab when I was in florida about a month ago. They caught redfish, speckled trout, and small mangrove snapper.

I am hoping I will get out to Assateague Island Sat.

Sam what were you catching the blues with on bait and tackle? I would really love to break in my new pole with some pullage and getting the boys into a few would be great.

If you are out there and see a black F350 with kids running around stop by and enjoy a laugh or two on my maiden voyage this year.

Big fish starting next weekend with maybe one or two on the beach the next few days.

Hot bite the 14th-24th

Hey everyone...

WELL, ive been keeping it quiet for about a month now since it has been so good, but seeing as the run is coming to an end ive decided to spill it. Surf fishing from the beaches of the lower bay on the eastern shore has been nothing short of world-class for the last month. Ive been taking about three trips a week to a couple of different spots and scoring big rockfish on every trip. The run began about the last week of march with stripers migrating into the bay to spawn and has been hot and heavy until about right now.

My best trips over the last couple of weeks have brought over a dozen rockfish each, most of which are 35 inches and bigger. (Best trip was on April 10 when we literally beached 23 stripers on four rods in four hours--biggest being 44 inches long). The key has been simple-fish the tides. My most consistent bite has been the last two hours of incoming tide, which almost guarantees at least one big rock on any given day. During the best parts of the run, it almost didnt even matter when you were there.

Ive been using a basic fishfinder rig with 36" of 50# flouro as my leader. This rig has been proven to outfish the typical bottom rig which everyone else in the world is using for some unknown reason. I have literally fished beside people at least five or six times this year and caught half a dozen big rock while they caught zero. 5/0 Mustad Demon Circle light wire hook. Take a big bloodworm (Thats right, bloodworm) and thread it all the way up the line. They simply havent wanted the cut bait. Fresh herring may score you one, but the bloodworm is best without a doubt.

My two biggest this year have been 44 and 42 inches. I cant count how many ive caught between 35 and 40. I would probably guess about 30 of them in three weeks. The run has really slowed down now, it peaked like 10 days ago, but were still catchin a few!

Heres a few pics to show y'all that im not lyin'. Ive got a bunch more but im trying to collect them from a bunch of different cameras. Ill get them up soon.

5852a5217c977_fishingapril9003.jpg.5736f

5852a52180ad1_fishingapril11006.jpg.d32a

5852a5218475d_fishingapril11001.jpg.d238

5852a521894f0_fishingapril11007.jpg.de0b

jackrock.jpg.551a8d6d211a1ea3cc0f26e936c

jackrock2.jpg.66527eb5b330c60645ea349172

Darn nice looking fish. I'm sure those there appreciate you not spilling the beans.

Hit the beach today for a few hours was able to nail one rock 26" and a hand full of blues and some skates I would give it about a week to two weeks and we will start to see some rocks with some size to them.