24 posts in this topic

Anyone have one of these for spinning gear? I don't have one but am thinking about buying one and trying it out. Any info on these?

I think i know what you are talking about. There was a guy who did a demo on AI last fall for me with this air propelled casting system. It was a bit complicated and I think his site is down now. www.faroutfishin.com

*edit* sorry, wrong equipment

All those fancy-dancy compressed air thingeys are complicated (as Sam said), expensive and require charging the bottle.

I would suggest trying a potato (gun) launching tube or a trap slinger.

With a trap slinger, glue a piece of foam to the backing plate to absorb some of the initial acceleration shock.

I don't know what kind of distance you'd get with it but it's worth a try if someone has one laying around.

As for the potato launching tube, an organic sabot would need to be used.

For $20 for the clip, I think its worth a shot,,,I have never used them but it would seem that it would create a further cast and requires no weight on your index finger, a plus in my opinion when tossing heavy weight with spinning gear.

Any info available for this item?

I guess Sam and I thought you were talking 'bout something else.

I'd give it a try. I've been using a leather finger guard ever since the braid sawed into my finger.

Coop has the idea. I have never seen the item but have heard it described. It has some kind of pin that you wrap the line around instead of using your finger. I never had the use for one until last year when I started throwing heavy lead/heads around. Like Steve I know what sawing your finger in half feels like. :( Also I think with this system you don't have to mess around with your drag on every cast, I could be wrong on this though.

I've got spinning and casting gear, so far I can't get the feel of casting gear at night. If you guys don't mind I am looking foward to the striper fling so I can see how you guys work. I have a lot to learn about this surf fishing thing!

Here is a pic of the product in question....

clear.gif

You do still have to loosen your drag after casting, to prevent the loss of your pole on a big knockdown. Unless ya use a baitrunner of some sort. I saw diawa, penn and a few others besides shimano are making a reel with the dual drag feature. 8) Those who use them, that I have talked with, like them.

wow, I was way off topic. I'm really batting 1,000!

Boulder-dosh, I'd still rather launch it 300 yards with a spring-fed chunker! :mrgreen:

I have sold the Breakaway Cannon, but most people do not know what they are. Terry has never used one, but does seem like a good idea. It seems great that you can cast out and not have to adjust the drag. If you would like one, let me know and I can order. I think the last I sold was about $23.00.

Yeah i think i might look into one b/c im sick of getting saw'd by braid! My friend uses one up here in the sus. river for casting from shore for catfish adn it seems to work really nice..ive never casted wtih it but from what i saw im impressed! I think i might have to try it out and if i like it have Bev order me one!

I've looked at these on the net for some time - haven't ever tried one though - how do you attach it to the pole? Is it permanent? or is there a clamp of some sort that can be removed without damage?

I'm still learning how to cast spinning gear - got a lot to learn. However, I feel like something like this would make casting heavy weights MUCH easier and safer (as a musician, I'm all about not hurting my fingers!)

Bev,

I was the one who talked to you today about the cannon. I hope you get it in before the weekend, I will be making my first trip to AI and catch some skates and doggies! :) Maybe a striper. I will be by to get some bait also.

I ordered after we finished our phone conversation. They should be here no later than Thursday morning.

These things are GREAT!!!! :lol: I bought one from Harbor Tackle on Friday to see how they worked and went back to buy another one on Saturday. If you use spinning gear and throw heavy lead these are the deal. very easy to get used to and easy to cast. I am not sure how much more distance they add. Maybe a more skilled caster could tell. But I really like the fact that you don't have to finger the line anymore.

I will have these at the striper fling if anyone wants to check them out/ toss them.

Definitely will want to check them out - been wanting to see these in action for a while. See you at the fling!

same here my finger get tired quickly tossing over 8 and bait..

I have the cannon on my 3 spinning heavers. I don't fasten them directly under the rod. I have them turned about 90 degrees to one side. That way I can still use my finger to throw lighter weights. Takes just a bit of practice, but not too much. Three - four easy casts and you should be good to go. I use 3 turns around the capstan, probably don't have to tighten the drag at all. I still do tighten it though, old habits are hard to break. Good luck with them!!!

Welcome aboard GoBow! I beleive I have met you on the beach before, but I'm not too sure. If not, hopefully soon!

Phil - now that you've had the cannon for a while... you still use it? Still like it?

Yep still have them and still use them. I mostly use baitcasting gear now for the bigger critters. I pretty much use my spinning gear for bottom fish. But they are great and I would buy them again!

Harbor tackle has them.:)

I used to use the little leather finger things...... and I use braid almost exclusivly so I know they keep your finger from bleeding.

yeah - i've been using either leather gloves or leather finger protectors (the one's the bait shops sell) BUt i was looking for something with less "unpredictability" in the release