15 posts in this topic

Ok, probably going to buy some Ticas. If I go with Tica I'll get 'em from Bev.

I think I want the 12 footer.

I just don't know which model. The UELA is composite with an EVA handle, whatever that is....

The UEHA is graphite with a cork handle.

I plan to use my Daiwa and Penn spinners on them.

Question is, on these actions, is the XXH really too heavy for up to 8nbait on the surf?

If so, should I drop down to the 11'6" XH and use a long spike?

Alright, and on to the types:

What'cha think, composite or graphite?

And why?

I do have one reservation with graphite.....

During the toss, it will give you a good shock when there is a lot of static in the air.

Throw it out there, whadda' ya think about the Ticas????

I've got three tica graphite rods. All conventional. Never been shocked. :-)

11', 11.6, 12'. They all feel the same to me when casting. They are all rated 2-10oz.

They are very light in weight and very stiff. I like my ticas. :up:

*edit* okay, mine are rated what they said they are. I didn't really know without gettting up and looking at them... :smartass:

Tica 12',,,perfect weight and excellent casting distance for the cash,,,I have the UEHA,,,I couldnt be happier,,,no complaints,,,I also have the 11'6 and 11',,,my 11 is rated 3-8oz,,,if I had a choice, I like the 12' just because she goes further, a result of the longer length,,,When I first got the 12, I couldnt cast it any further than the 11 and in fact came up shorter than the 12 in the cast,,,timing problem when casting,,,now that I have gotten that straightened out, the 12 definitely goes the furthest and is by far my favorite :up: .

From what I'm reading on the spec sheet, the 11's are 3-8 and the longer ones are 4-10. Of course they may have changed the lineup a bit here and there.

They have two grips available but I don't know what they are, their style or whatever. The two are available on both the graphite/cork and the composite/EVA. Under grip type it just has A or B, can't find out what that is....

http://www.ticaglobal.com/EN/AM/PR_rods.asp?modelno=SURF

Scott, I know you have conventional reels but are the eyelets big for spinning reels?

Would be sweet if they folded down like the Fujis do.

They have two grips available but I don't know what they are, their style or whatever. The two are available on both the graphite/cork and the composite/EVA. Under grip type it just has A or B, can't find out what that is....

.........Scott, I know you have conventional reels but are the eyelets big for spinning reels?

Would be sweet if they folded down like the Fujis do.

cork grips are cork tape ...

eva is 'foam rubber'...

conventional = small 'eyelets' = conventional reels

spinning = large 'eyelets' = spinning reels

" folded down " ????

Steve,

Derf summed it up,,, :up: ,,,they do make some real XXH in spinning,,,I believe they make a 11 and a 12 that is rated 6-12ozs,,,check with Bev, if she doesnt have it and if thats something that may interest you, I am sure she can order it for you.

love my 10 Tica can't wait to buy another.....

Or maybe get one for your birthday??? :mrgreen:

cork grips are cork tape ...

eva is 'foam rubber'...

conventional = small 'eyelets' = conventional reels

spinning = large 'eyelets' = spinning reels

" folded down " ????

On the site it only says A or B for the grips, doesn't say "cork" or "EVA", so it has to be ordered that way.

Yep, know it needs to be for spinning, but here again, it doesn't specify which are which on the factory site.

Guess I just have to put them in my hands before I can order...... Dern it....

Hope Bev has them in stock when I make it down there.

I'm pretty sure it was Fuji eyes (guides) that I saw, they were folded down to lay flush against the pole instead of storing/transporting with the eyes perpendicular to the rod length. Sweet setup, keeps them from breaking.

Thanks ya'll...

at the end of the model# denotes c for casting or s for spinning.

Cool, nice point out Coop, didn't see that.

Well, both models (UEHA & UELA) have 12' and they have grip type "A".

Got some new models on that page too...

Now I have to figure if I want composite or graphite, weigh about the same.

Thoughts on that part?

I always thought the graphite was lighter but I may be wrong,,,never tossed the UELA,,,all I can say is I like mine, UEHA,,,I do not believe these have the fuji guides,,,I think the ugsa series has the Fuji guides but there is no mention of this model in there website as well as the heavier rods that cast 6-12, so Iam a little confused :? . Either the models Iam referring to are discontinued or there website is not updated,,,anyway,,,like I said, the graphite casts great and I dont think you would be dissapointed,,,very good rod for the money.

I'm pretty sure it was Fuji eyes (guides) that I saw, they were folded down to lay flush against the pole instead of storing/transporting with the eyes perpendicular to the rod length. Sweet setup, keeps them from breaking.

i think they might be pac - bay guides ....

probally the only way you can get them on a rod is to have it custom built .....

derf

Graphite-Composite, Graphite-Composite, sheesh.....

Gotta' pick one.....

I remember now where I saw the flip-down guides, at BPS in Arundel.

Going next week, will check.

Randy, did they have the 15' Diawa spinning rod last week?

not that I saw, they did have some "house-brand" 15' that the lower giude could fold, think it was $29.95 :shock: but those were the only 15's I saw