7 posts in this topic

Got an old army buddy (actually a groomsman in my wedding) being reassigned to Norfolk this summer.....He's coming in from Fort Leonardwood, MO and LOVES to fish. We were first stationed together up on the Jersey Shore 17 years ago, and even though we don't see each other much we still stay in touch......Anyhow...so right now his RFO (request for orders for those non-military out there) has his report date 31 July. I know all the good down south hospitality will take him in and show him the ropes....I'm going to get him on this site and hopefully we may even get a chance to come down while he's here for my wedding in june....But just wanted to give you guys a heads up that a new guy is on the way down and I'm gonna be looking forward to someone showing him around and hearing all the good reports.

Just let me know and I'll be glad to take him on the rounds a few times....unless he shows me up!:icon_thumleft:

OK, so I talked to my buddy this morning. He and his family are heading this way tomorrow (from Ft Leonardwood, MO). He is planning on being here sometime tue night/Wed Morning. He has to sign into his unit then is going on Permissive TDY for a couple weeks. Hopefully he'll be driving up to fish with us for a bit on the 26th, but He is definitely looking forward to finding some of the local fishing down around Norfolk too. I told him this may not be a bad week to be showing up with his 2 boys, maybe he can hit LIP and see some monster fish landed (cause I know he won't have the gear)...Anyhow...if anyone is gonna be out this week and wants to show an army boy and his two sons the ropes gimme a shout and I'll see if I can't hook you up.....Thanks!!!!!!!!!

F-A,

I'm sure I'll be out at some point this week either on Base at Norfolk or at Dam Neck.

Lemme know what his schedule looks like and I'll see what I can do. Be more than glad to take them out fishing and show them around.

Cool...I'll give him a call this afternoon and get some more details...I know he's not keeping the family with him, they are only coming out for a couple weeks then going back to MO. He's about 1 1/2 years from retirement and doesn't want to uproot the kids yet again...

Ok, I talked to him again.....he's not sure how much time he's gonna have to fish (since his wife will be with him) but he's going to be at Ft Story for a while as well as Langley. I assured him that in that area, a fishing trip could be all day or as short as an hour or two after dinner one night....He's definitely looking forward to getting out (and dragging me down there) to do some fishing. He does have one question though....he's bringing his 16' boat with a 140 i/o along with him. Since he is active duty military he should be able to store it on post...which would be the best place down there (he'll actually be in suffolk) for him to store the boat? He was thinking about using it on lakes, but hopefully I've steered him towards throwing it in the salt (on the right days) and staying a little closer to home.

I'm pretty sure he can store it at Ft. Story. I know they have a marina. He's pretty close to some nice flounder spots going out of there!

There is a few places to fish there as well. If he doesn't get out this week, I'll get him another week, just let me know!