3 posts in this topic

Has anyone been to Smith Mountain Lake? I'm planning a trip there and I was wondering if I could get some information on what types of fish are there? Also is there any lodging nearby?

Should be plenty of lodging, but have not heard a thing from there. I know they whack em at certain times of the year!

I've fished there several times. Actually taken several week long vacations on the lake. First off, when are you trying to go? The lake gets very crowded in the summer with pleasure boaters (which can really making fishing tough) Don't get too worried though, being that its a VERY large lake you'll be able to find some places to get to if you have a boat. Are you looking for lodging in a hotel/motel or looking more along the lines of renting a house? Smith Mountain lake also offers houseboats for rent, which, if you want to fish and don't have a boat may be the best bang for the buck. As to fish, the striper fishing is phenomenal. There are also Bass, catfish, crappie and the rest of the panfish. Oh and soak some corn or doughbait for some MONSTER carp if you're not looking for an eating fish and just want some great pullage. The lake is about 300' deep at the dam and there's plenty of structure everywhere. If you know where to look for them (which sorry, but I don't) There are entire houses underwater that apparently hold TONS of big fish. On that note....if you are bottom fishing be prepared to snag quite a bit. I hope this helps out. If you want to ask more specific questions I may not know the answer, but hopefully I can point you in the right direction.