AIdunerunner

if you had to chose one pole?

13 posts in this topic

If you were to buy one pole for a 525 mag

which one? Length 11' 12' ? Under 150.

Most important which one to stay away from?

tica,

11'6" or even the 12'

about 139.00

yep for the price you can't beat a Tica

I agree with the TICA. I have also heard great things about the tsunami rods as well.

if you get a Tica, get a spare tip as I've seen alot of the tip guides crack, including mine:cwm21:and at the worse time:angry3:

Ditto on the Tica.

Some people prefer the Bass Pro Ocean Master though.

Either one, nice mid price rod.

If you use braid, carry an extra tip and hot glue.

Ditto on the Tica.

Some people prefer the Bass Pro Ocean Master though.

Either one, nice mid price rod.

I like the ocean master for 8 n more and bait.

Anything less than 8 I like the tica's.

The newer (more expensive) dolphin series of the tica's don't have any guide problems. If you have the extra funds I suggest upgrading to the USGA instead of the UEHA versions of the TICA.

i personally felt the dolphin was a bit heavier then the older version.

the older ones are so light and so responsive.

i personally felt the dolphin was a bit heavier then the older version.

the older ones are so light and so responsive.

I have the 12 heavy Dolphin casting and Love it. I have it paired with an SHA30 but will pair up nicely with my 525mag. Not really sure if its heavier that the old style.

As far as one rod with the 525 would be difficult for me.

I like using it on a few rods depending on what I'm doing. For example. It matches up well with a OM 10' for pups in the wash. It's light and don't mind holding it for a while.

On my Ballistic I can get the most distance out of it. It's my go to for when I need the max distance. Like when I'm stuck on the beach at low tide.

On the pier I like it with my 1509 allstar. At 12'6" it long enough for good distance and short enough not to kill myself on the planks.

The Tica dolphin is new. I really like the way this rod feels. It's very light and with the new Fuji guides it gonna be great fishing the bay.

Last month I put my only 525mag up for sale and I just couldn't part with it.

:book1:Well I made my purchase, please tell me your honest opinions esp. if you used one or own one.

I made my mind up on a Tica, I went to Ocean City, Fenwick, North Bethany etc.Then..

I found a Stellar Lite (Star Rod) 11', It feels light enough to be used for a long time but strong and it is made in the USA. Cost 119.oo

Side bar I had new string put on at 14lb.

How long should the shock leader be? 12 ' or 15' 20' any length better or worse.

Thanks for your time to reply. AIdunrunner

I haven't used that rod so I can't comment on it.

For your shock leader, you want it long enough so you have a couple wraps around your reel when casting or else it won't do any good. So you want the length of your rod plus the length of your drop plus another two or three feet.

I use shock leaders up to 50' but 25'-30' will serve its purpose. I find the additional 25' makes landing big fish a lot less nerve racking when they get into the break. With 8nbait there is almost no noticeable difference in casting distance. Practicing on grass there is but on unstable footing with the additional air drag of a bait and beach conditions I can't tell a difference.

I start with 40-50 foot of 50# shock tied uni-uni.

I can cut off tattered end sections as needed.