16 posts in this topic

Hi my name is David I took my Girlfriend fishing for the first time yesterday. We went to Seneca Creek State Park. It was fun, we dont have boat so were stuck on land. We saw alot of baby fish but that was it. I wanted to know if anyone knew of any places i could take her where we could fish from shore and have a good chance of catching something. Also i looked at getting and inflatable boat and an electric motor to put on the back of it so we could get out on these lakes so we could open up our range of fishing area. Are there any boats that could fit in a super low budget. Thank you for you time and help and i look forward to reading your comments.

David

Which part of Maryland do you want to fish ? Are they any types of fish you would like to catch?

I am not too familiar with the stuff on the western shore, but I would look at places like Sandy Point State Park, Point Look Out pier, North Beach and etc.

The eastern shore has Romancoke pier, Matapeake and my favorite the Choptank river pier (its huge so crowds aren't usually an issue.

Then you got Ocean City which has countless fishing opportunities. The inlet, the 50 bridge, bulkhead and etc.

The last but not least you got the surf in Ocean City and Assateague.

During the summer you can pretty much catch some type of fish at any one of those spots listed above.

PS -- save your money for now, NO boat needed to have fun fishing in MD. Once you learn what you want to fish for and where exactly you want to fish you can look at getting an appropriate boat for that area.

There is no good fishing in maryland. Go to New Jersey! lol

Just kidding. Welcome aboard.

Welcome Aboard Atlantic Anglers guys:hello:

dont listen to Bo':eek: he hasn't splashed his boat yet and might-still have a touch of cabin fever:icon_wink:

lots'a good fishin' here in MD and Seneca is a very good place, if I'm not mistaken they rent boats there, right Phil:confused: I know he fishes there..............right now things are kinda' slooooooow, maybe another week of warmer weather will "spark" things up in the water:glasses1:...do you prefer fresh or salt:icon_scratch:

There is some great small mouth bass fishing just south of the 340 bridge in Harper's ferry. Small inflatable kayaks are great duckies. You can also fish the Monocacy river close to the Potomac river. One day in the canoe we beached, and I got 7 for 7 casts of small mouth bass it was a great day.

Seneca Creek State Park (Clopper Lake) will surprise you. Very nice catfish lake. Lots of crappie, bass too. Also tiger muskie. Fish down by the dam for catfish. You can walk around the bank and catch a mess of crappie. Just look for any downed trees. They do rent boats there but not this early in the year. You can launch your own boat there. Yak, canoe or whatever you can haul to the bank and launch yourself.

Potomac river for smallies, catfish, carp whatever you like. Fletchers is heating up right now but this rain will raise the river and I doubt they will rent boats for a few days now.

Welcome aboard!

What area do you live in? I could suggest some spots.

The Potomac River is pretty good. Down lower, but still above DC, you can get Catfish. Higher up most other freshwater species.

Inshore you have Clopper Lake, it's part of Senea. Also the reservoirs, Pretty Boy, Triadelphia, etc.

The list is long, let us know what you prefer to catch and areas and we'll yell 'ya.

Enjoy!

What are some good spots in Ocean City? I'm looking for some new places to try out in the area.

thank you for all the help guys, i am currently trying to find a place to take my girl friend for the weekend like a cabin or lodge for fishing where we can rent a boat. im planning on going some time in the next few months any help

thank you

Oh man!

I absolutely second what Randy said!

That's a dog-gone big lake with lots of critters in it.

If the GF tires of fishing, lots of hiking areas, (LOTS!!!) and there MIGHT, I say MIGHT be an alpine slide at the ski slope or in the general area. You'd have to check.

If I went, the fish wouldn't bite that day, so let me know when you go and I'll stay away.

:D

Anywhere along the Potomac River will work, chickie livers work great for the Kitty-Kat Fish.

Before you buy a dingie and motor, go explore.

You may find an area that you can easily get to on land or canoe.

Several of the lakes prohibit gas motors!!!!

I throw the kayak in and go get a workout.

Well, I don't catch any fish, no one on the lake does when I'm there.... LOL!

Oh yeah, never, NEVER buy a two-place kayak.

Quickest way to ruin a relationship, rent a couple of 'em and go play.

If ya like it, then buy TWO.

ha isnt that sweet my baby post on the site lol. I was also wondering if anyone had a depth map of Deep Creek Lake. Also, if anyone knows what parts are doin good right now, and what kind of fish might be in those areas.

Doesn't Gander Mtn in Salisbury Rent boats? That may be an option.....Head to OC/AI and fish the sound from a rented boat. Or Plop it into the Bay at Deale Island, Crisfield or Wynona. The Tangier Sound fishing should be getting HOT any day now (if it isn't already) First Bouy outside the ramp at crisfield typically holds a large school of stripers first thing in the morning and then again in the afternoon. A 2oz Stingsilver and some light tackle can be alot of fun...fish after fish after fish. You'll know they are there when you see the birds. If thats the option you go for, also hit the tackle shop in Crisfield and see if he has live spot. If not, pick up some bloodworms and fish the creek for spot, throw them in the live well and live line them out around the stripers.

the rocky side under the 219 bridge is usualy good for a few large and small mouth bass using mepps spinners , or even better live minnows . if you have access to a boat check out stump point . its back around towards the dam. if your looking for something really big . troll large deep diving crank baits ,that dive at least 30feet , for some big northern pike . stay in 35 to 50 feet of water

Also, go to maps.goofle.com and put in accident, md. Deep Creek Lake is just below the town. Select "Satellite" view and zoom in. There are all kinds of access points around the lake. Start with what Don suggested and work around from there.