40 posts in this topic

As the title says, How will the increased gas prices effect your fishing season? I for one will have a tough time getting out to AI as much as I did last season, 40 mile drive one way( some of you are a lot further) and having two suv's that are gas guzzlers dont help. I hope to get out as much as I did last year but it's not looking promising.

..........not gonna' impact my fishin' one bit:glasses1: however, my Mustang will have to sit-out another year of Drag Racing:angry4:

Doesn't look promising for me either. $4 a gallon for diesel hurts real bad and I live right near Salisbury. Have to pay more attention to the weather forecast and stay home if it looks bad. I used to load up and head to the beach even if the forecast was bad( cause we all know the weatherman ain't always right ).

I am in the same boat as greenhorn.

I notice myself paying more attention to weather and fishing reports now. I also going to tend to stick closer to home on the Choptank river rather than going to AI or Ocean City during slow times.

Undecided, but probably will plan my trips more efficient!

Right now the gas right up the street from me is at 2.18 or less. :)

Not going to matter to me. Don't like it but I'm not going to curtail my trips. Heading to the Poconos in late April, at least two trips to AI in May, hopefully three, Briery Creek in June. Sharkin in the summer. Of course I don't have to spend money on gas driving the beach like you guys do.

honestly.......unless dad wants to go or I'm out that way anyhow, I'll probably stay away...it sucks life goes on......Maybe its time for me to look for a more economical trip to the beach.

honestly.........Maybe its time for me to look for a more economical trip to the beach.

Just start to cook some of that bunker up for lunch.

I am actually in Salisbury myself, and I have two Explorers with 25 gallon gas tanks. They are not to bad on the highway, but keep em in the city and my mileage is horrible(12 m.p.g) I am not going to let it keep me away from the beach during peak season but I doubt I will be able to do 3-4 days a week again this year.

Right now the gas right up the street from me is at 2.18 or less. :)

You mean 3.18?!?!?! At 2.18 I'll be there with a tanker on saturday.

Yeah, gas is gonna kill me this year. I'm trying not to think about it.:icon_thumbdown:

With the exception of the fling and other social events, I think I'll stick to boat fishing this year. I'll probably fish the same amount, but there will be less stops at harborside apres fish.

I'll also be looking for volunteers to 'share the load'. So if anyone wants to get in on the action, inshore or offshore, let me know. I am ALWAYS looking for a crew.

The price of gas is not gonna bother yer fishin' nearly as much as beach closures. If ya think what is happening in North Carolina is gonna stay in North Carolina I gotta bridge for ya...

As for me...I ain't never seen a tombstone that said a guy fished too much. I'm gonna spend every last cent on gas and bait and ice and eats and motels and all that stuff...and I'm gonna continue supporting those organizations who fight for my right to enjoy our national treasures. And I ain't never, ever gonna buy a Toyota.

it's gonna get tough out there, may keep the crowds down though.

Fishing is what I do to get away, I'm still gonna do it as much as I can.

More trips when we are already at the beach rather then 200 miles suicide runs though.

as far as beach access goes, tomorrow is D-day...looks bleak man.

SteveZ, I bet you can find donations to audubon from just about every auto manufacturer or company that pollutes. $20M is a lot but I know ford did 5M not to long ago, I ahven't looked into the others yet.

I bet you can find donations to audubon from just about every auto manufacturer or company that pollutes.

Mebbe so but that don't mean ya gotta get in bed with 'em. For Toyota to make a donation to the Auduban Society at this particular time says lots to me.

Gas prices won't affect me at all, and if they ever did, I'd take a part time job to pay for fishing.

Gas prices won't affect me at all, and if they ever did, I'd take a part time job to pay for fishing.

X's 2:icon_salut:......oh and Bob you know Im down for some trips wth you to this year :icon_rambo:...lets sea? towing my boat to OCMD, @$60.00 in fuel for the Escape, @$50.00 to re-fuel the boat when done, extra wear n' tear on the SUV:eek:....HELL, it'll be cheaper to help you wththe fuel, bait n' tackle:happy5:...Wonder if AllTackle is hiring:dontknow:

Then you have less time to fish!

I think (as many have said ) many people are going to fish smarter this year.

A typical trip usually costs around $1000 - $1,100 and now it might cost us an extra $200 - $300 per trip.

We certainly can not cut back on the BEER and CHICKEN but, will have to pick up another person or Two that will offset the increase.

I think the days of fishing with 3 guys are gone for us and will now be more like 4 or 5 on the boat.

It won't change my trips at all.

I'll burn anything, diesel, bio, used cooking oil, K-1, hydraulic fluid, imported cars, eco-terrorists, whatever fits in the filler tube....

I can load on 52 gals if I want to.

I want to believe fuel prices will not effect my fishing but they will.icon9.gif Also the Md. (GO BACK TO PA.) attitude is weighing heavy on me. NE1 want to buy a weekend paradise getaway?(water front)

5852a52036600_fishing005.jpg.4104b61b1b1

I want to believe fuel prices will not effect my fishing but they will.icon9.gif Also the Md. (GO BACK TO PA.) attitude is weighing heavy on me. NE1 want to buy a weekend paradise getaway?(water front)

I see you are a weekend warrior like me. Our home is in Crisfield but I work near BWI so we commute home on the weekends. It will take gas being a lot more for us to reconsider that because escaping the urba/suburban hell hole is too important to us. Sometimes you can't put a price on a peaceful soul.

As far as fishing yes it affect me some. I have staved off going to AI / CI early looking for that early Striper/BLUE. I am staying close to home and fishing the areas close to me. I still will go afar to fish but weather/reports/tides etc will receive my scrutiny to try to make it as productive as possible.

I too have a Diesel and unfortunately for it is a dually. I still get 18mpg out and about but when I bought it I did not realize that I could not get an ORV permit for AI Our Honda Odyssey gets 26 highway so it makes more trips to the shore now and the diesel stays back.

:angry5:I aint lettin no gas company stop me from fishing. My wife and I started taking overnight offshore trips a couple of years ago to save gas. Will make more stays in the bullpen this year instead of burning more gas getting to the beach. Will also be looking for friends to share expenses a little more than before. See yall on the fishing grounds.

For Audubon to take $20 million from Toyota says a lot to me,Steve Z....

I have always believed that Audubon was one of the "good guys".

HAH!

Now they are no more than a ho to the auto industry.....

We kinda expect corporations like Toyota to "buy" the influence of credible organizations like Audubon....organizations that can deflect criticism and provide PR cover...

But I am shocked that Audubon would sell out like this:angry4::angry4:.

$20 million isn't a donation...it is an investment.

For Audubon to take $20 million from Toyota says a lot to me,Steve Z....

I have always believed that Audubon was one of the "good guys".

HAH!

Now they are no more than a ho to the auto industry.....

We kinda expect corporations like Toyota to "buy" the influence of credible organizations like Audubon....organizations that can deflect criticism and provide PR cover...

But I am shocked that Audubon would sell out like this:angry4::angry4:.

$20 million isn't a donation...it is an investment.

Doesn't this belong in another thread?