12 posts in this topic

Well, my HP bit the big one. So I go to the store to go shopping for a new PC. As it turns out, all the nice new quad core PC's are not compatible with XP, and you HAVE to get that POS Vista crap. Service Pack 2 was just recalled and there is no definite date on the next release. UN-FREAKING-ACCEPTABLE!!!!

So, it turns out that a Mac will run XP perfectly, and have no driver issues.

I now own a Mac.

So far so good....

Great! Which Mac did you get?

Which Mac op sys? Leopard? (hope so)

Mac os sometimes won't let PC's on the intranet get on, sometimes not play nice when a PC wants to use the printer on the Mac either.

You will probably find yourself using the Mac more and more, great sys. MS Office for Mac is pretty good too.

Yep it's leopard.

My cable modem IS my router (4 port and Wireless N), so access to the net is not dictated by any one machine. I don't see this being an issue. (Sam, correct me if I'm wrong).

I'll cross the printer issues when I come to them. Thanks for the heads up.

I don't use MS Office anymore. I like the open source version (openoffice.org).

What I do need to get is a copy of protools.....and maybe some really good video editing software.

BOb - you get paralells or bootcamp w/ it? Curious how that's working. My next pc might just be a macbook as well. Don't want to do it, but Vista is well....:icon_puke_r:

Steve,

Don't know yet....I have to mess with it. I just set it up last night. XP Pro goes on tonight.

I have windows XP pro installed on Quad core PC's.

Why are you saying you can't do it?

Jim, I wouldn't bother with Vista either. It's overrated, overpriced and buggy as hades. I dunno' about putting XP on a perfectly good Mac, unless there are PC apps you can't find for a Mac. Yes, Parallels will allow you to run both DOS. I haven't mastered WINE for Linux so I keep a PC box handy. Linux, XP, UNIX and Mac in the house. Well, Mac is sort'a based on UNIX, hense the least amount of critters.

I forgot about openoffice for Mac, was thinking Linux. That's a good choice. What about mail and calendar? Do you need to sync to a handheld?

No, not saying you will have any issues getting to the internet. I'm saying that your PC's may have trouble accessing the Mac over the home network (intranet). Just go to Places|Network and assign a static address and DNS, change the net name to what you have your home net titled.

I still find it hard to access a printer plugged into the Mac using printer sharing. The Mac blocks inbound traffic and I can't figure out how to make it behave! I have shares assigned on the Mac and the PCs don't see 'em.

I gave in and bought a network printer and plugged it into the router in that room. Sheesh, 4 routers now.....

You made a nice purchase, I'm sure the cool features and s/w will make you go 'WOW'.

The PC I was looking at (HP Pavillion 9600) has device driver issues with XP. The sales guy didn't go into it and I didn't ask.

I did some more exploring on the mac last night. I can't figure out how to get the files from my iPod to the iMac, do any of you Mac guys know? I tried a program called Senuti, but it didn't work.

As far as needing XP, I'm afraid it's going to be a necessary evil, as I am a Microsoft Developer, and need Visual Studio 2005 installed on it.

Also, if I pull the hard drive from the fried puter and put it in a USB enclosure, will Leopard be able to read it, or do I need to install XP first?

Thanks for your help guys, I appreciate it.

Quad Core + XP is fine. It's when you want to put more than 3gb of RAM in 32bit editions of Windows that life starts to suck...

BTW, I've had Vista Home Premium for a year and I'm liking it. Still like XP for a lot of stuff, but Vista has come a long way.

I can't figure out how to get the files from my iPod to the iMac, do any of you Mac guys know? I tried a program called Senuti, but it didn't work.

Also, if I pull the hard drive from the fried puter and put it in a USB enclosure, will Leopard be able to read it, or do I need to install XP first?

Try iTunes for transferring the music, it's already on the Mac.

Do you have a dock?

Just pop it in and you can set up iTunes to sync or whatever you want. Just be careful you don't xfer the music twice, it will actually let you screw up in that manner.

Mac OS can read external drives, no problem.

I slapped a bare Maxtor on the USB and it worked.

Yeah, I tunes is WRITE ONLY to the iPod. They do it to stop you from going to your buddy's house and dumping 80 gig onto his PC.

I figured it out, tho.