6 posts in this topic

Spend much time practicing except when my feet are planted on the sand and bait is on the hook. However, it was Easter Sunday and I was looking for an excuse to get outside and into the fresh air.

Went to the local soccer field and set up the Rainshadow and Tica with 8+tennis ball and 6+tennis ball.

What an eye opener that was. Best I could do was 105 and my overall average was 90.

I sure hope Tommy is still plannning that seminar in Sept!

those cast just seem so much better in the ocean:icon_scratch:

Devo

Don't sell yourself short. That tennis ball will kill your distance.

If you can find a field where you're alone try with just the lead.

I got out there Saturday. I'm not a great caster but I hit 150 a few times with my 525mag/Ballistic.

the ball is a good simulator of weight and the drag of bait, 100 yds while fishing is damn good. The ball will suck at least 30% off your cast in my experience. Depending on how your reel is tuned you should be close to 140 without the ball.

the ball is a good simulator of weight and the drag of bait, 100 yds while fishing is damn good. The ball will suck at least 30% off your cast in my experience. Depending on how your reel is tuned you should be close to 140 without the ball.

Ben you just made me feel much better about my casts lol. All my practicing is with a tennis ball and I've felt like a complete idiot casting 80-100 yards. Now I just feel like a partial idiot. :happy8:

I don't feel so bad either. I was thinking 150-175 wasn't very good. Now I know it's great!

Oh, wait a minute.....

That was 150 feet. :angel3:

(sigh)

I don't think weight in a tennis ball is a good simulation of weight & bait IF you use a super short FF or cannonball rig. IMO a weighted baseball is a much more realistic simulation. I know I throw 8 & a chunk further than I do 8 in a tennis ball. If ya use a long FF or some other floppy rig then 8 in a tennis ball might be a good simulation. Otherwise stick about 4 oz in a baseball and it ought'll fly about like a well tuned fishin' rig. My .02.