5 posts in this topic

I've heard from many people that when the red drum are blitzin', the fishing in the surf gets chaotic. Sounds fun... when's the best time to get them in the Lewes/Bethany Beaches area? I fish mostly out of Keybox Road, if that makes much of a difference. Also, what's best to use for them (rods, baits, etc...)?

We don't usually see a red drum blitz up north. You need to head south to catch a blitz and even there its a hit or miss.

Up north here, you would be lucky to even see a red drum.

bait - spot, kingfish, blues, bunker...heads and chunks. Nice stiff surf pole, rated up to least 8oz (heads are heavy) , and any size from 10' on up will work. I would recomend something in the 12' range rated up to 12 ozs. Generally, most of us throw at least 6oz's or 8oz's of lead plus head/chunk. Total weight you will be throwing could be 10 ozs + with the heads. If you plan on throwing just chunks, a lighter weighted rod will do.

If your trying up in delaware, I would recomend headin further south. The further south you go, the better the chance of getting a red. Never seen a red drum blitz, and to be honest, one is tough to come by.

Haven't been successful with drum off Delawares Beaches-But their have been red drum caught in the De. Bay-warmer weather? go figure tell the fish where they should be. I am fishing A. I. this spring so perhaps-//I will tell you that the V.A . outer islands have drum-We used 12" rods,8n bait-menhayden-We fished with a local guide and had a great expierence. Good Luck!