15 posts in this topic

What's the best braid for conventional reel-30# to 40# for beach casting,good with knots,low wind whip, all around best /

Are you sure you want to be using braid on a casting reel?:icon_scratch:

It's expensive for a blow up!:angry4:

I would highly reccomend using Sufix Tri-Plus mono in 17# test to a 40/50# shock leader. You can't go wrong with that and I've seen plenty of Big fish/sharks landed on it.:glasses1:

Yep! listen to Dixie.

Last summer it seemed all my sharks hit on my smaller lines with 17lb sufix tri instead of my rigs I had out for sharks.

I landed almost everyone of them on the 17lb mono.

5500 ABU=12# 255YDS,17#=130YDS//

40# BRAID=296

with 40# mono top shot could put 200 yds of braid would equal 525 mag or 6500 c3 abu; Thats my reasoning;Draw back in a blow up pretty messy-but what blow-up isn"t?

Sufix tri+, is what I use also. If capacity is what your looking for you can do this. I put 100 yards of PP on an Abu 6500 then topped it off with 17# Suffix. Total was right at 300 yards.

This is my new reel,To get more line /although, perhaps the pp for a base then suffix,then leader

Thanks

5852a51f9cc6f_ABU5500001.jpg.8459e6d4ec3

5852a51fa1ab0_ABU5500002.jpg.b2de9b84701

Not to change thread but wanted to show pics of fishing trip

5852a51fa7073_VIRGINIABEACH08197.jpg.833

What species are you targeting with that reel?

As airdown said you can put braid backing on (20 lb) and fill up enough casting distance with 17 or even 15 lb suffix tri.

That should give you enough line capacity to catch almost anything at AI (except large sharks that run).

I would also make sure you got the upgraded drags in that Abu. Carbonex is the way to go.

Sufix tri+, is what I use also. If capacity is what your looking for you can do this. I put 100 yards of PP on an Abu 6500 then topped it off with 17# Suffix. Total was right at 300 yards.

Very good tip here!

Who did you go out with out of Rudee??

I have found in my learning process on these conventionals that braid is much, much easier to un-birds nest when you do have a problem. I was spending alot more time on the couple of kinds of mono I was using undoing the blow ups. I have 20# Power Pro on my main conventional and it casts better than the mono I had on before.

Braid is ok, just don't show uo around a group during a Bull Drum run.:director::argue:

Here are the pics of the braid to mono fill up. If using one of the new Abu's with the slick drag I think 15# would be ok and even more capacity.

Abu C3CT Mag empty

6500magemptysm-1.jpg

This is what was on a 100 yard spool fo 20# PP

6500magPPsm-1.jpg

The C3CT w/100 yard spool of 20# PP and topped w/17# Sufix Tri+

6500magPPMonosm-1.jpg

This is how much mono came of the C3CT--As you can see the BY is almost full

6500BYMonosm-1.jpg

Thats a hell of alot of line on a 6500 series reel.

First thanks for the many suggestions-

Great Board-Appreciate that this board takes the time to answer new members questions-Just Great& appreciated!

I like the idea of PP(20),Perhaps 80-100Yds,then 15-17# Suffix Tri-

if I can get to 190-200 yds that plenty-

I am targeting whatever is running striper,red drum later flounder-

using this reel as a close-in reel-have 525"s,Daiwa's 30xsha for more capacity,also have Abu Garcia 6500's -My spread should be inclusive:ofcourse I will have to make this leap from all spinning to conventional.

Ans. to question- Steve-Fin Galley Capt. Krage Gardiner-out of Oregon Inlet-Came to Rudee Inlet for stiper this season-fished with him for 5yrs-first class Capt.

yeah, we got a great group of guys here:icon_thumright: spread the word:icon_thumleft:

I bought mt 1st spool of braid last week, Suffix Performance in 30lb test and spooled it on my brand new Quantun Cabo PTs40....hope to try it out soon:happy3:

The sussie 30 is what I want to put on a new reel.

What size spool and price Randy?

I was thinking bout 20 but what the heck, 30 is small enough diameter and should haul in just about anything.

The sussie 30 is what I want to put on a new reel.

What size spool and price Randy?

I was thinking bout 20 but what the heck, 30 is small enough diameter and should haul in just about anything.

150yds and the dia is the equiv of 8lb mono, got it at BPS, was @$15.00 wth a $6.00 mail in rebate