Sam

Assateague Island Officials are looking for Comments

18 posts in this topic

"comment questionnaire"?? is there a specific form to fill out? I must've missed this...anyone help a clueless brother out?

so whewre is the form we fill out?

I got the name of the form and sent an e-mail to the epply@ e-mail address requesting a copy be sent to my house. The name of the form is below.

Title: Assessing Visitor Attitudes, Experiences and Expectations

associated with the Management and Use of Over-sand Vehicles at

Assateague Island National Seashore.

I got the name of the form and sent an e-mail to the epply@ e-mail address requesting a copy be sent to my house. The name of the form is below.

Title: Assessing Visitor Attitudes, Experiences and Expectations

associated with the Management and Use of Over-sand Vehicles at

Assateague Island National Seashore.

And here i was thinking they'd have an online form somewhere - naaah that would be the cheap and efficient way of doing it.....I forgot this was a government operation...:cwm10:

And here i was thinking they'd have an online form somewhere - naaah that would be the cheap and efficient way of doing it.....I forgot this was a government operation...:cwm10:

there should be, i found this

Automated data collection: This information will be collected via

questionnaires, distributed either on-site or through the mail. No

automated data collection will take place.

Description of respondents: Component 1--on-site or mail-back

surveys: ASIS OSV special use permit holders for calendar year 2008.

Component 2--mail-back surveys: ASIS visitors issued backcountry

camping permits between September 1, 2007 and August 31, 2008.

Estimated average number of respondents: Component 1: 300

respondents; Component 2: 200 respondents.

Estimated average burden hours per response: Component 1: 15

minutes; Component 2: 15 minutes.

Frequency of Response: 1 time per respondent.

Estimated annual reporting burden: 125 hours.

Comments are invited on:

(1) The practical utility of the information being gathered;

(2) the accuracy of the burden hour estimate;

(3) ways to enhance the quality, utility, and clarity of the

information to be collected; and

(4) ways to minimize the burden to respondents, including use of automated information collection techniques or other forms of information technology.

Before including your address, phone number, e-mail address, or other personal identifying information in your comment, you should be aware that your entire comment--including your personal identifying information--may be publicly available at any time. While you can ask us in your comment to withhold your personal identifying information from pubic view, we cannot guarantee that we will be able to do so.

After reading this more carefullly, It seems like the "Comment" period (April 19th) is to recieve comments on how the study is being conducted. The actual study will be collected via on-site surveys and mailed versions to a random sample of OSV and Non-OSV users. (Spring and Summer of 2008)

Goal of 300 respondents (OSV) and 200 non OSV.

Seems like they could have just handed out the survey at the time when we registered for our permits.....

Devo

I just typed up a nice email about the OSV zone and its advantages and disadvantages and sent it off to the contacts listed to send comments to.

Can't hurt!

Is this how the crap got started in North Carolina??

No the crap in North Carolina was started by some extreme environmental terrorist group that used bird loving as an excuse to shut down the beach.

That hasn't started here just yet, but if those terrorists win in North Carolina,I am sure AI will be on the hit list.

shut your mouth jim those terrorist will NOT win in OBX there is no if!

shut your mouth jim those terrorist will NOT win in Outer Banks there is no if!

I hope you are right! I want to fish on the point someday.

:angry4::angry4::angry4::angry4: Don't tell me they have started here also.

:angry4::angry4::angry4::angry4: Don't tell me they have started here also.

No, thats what this new updated management plan that they are working on is to prevent that from happening at AI.

I hope it can be nipped in the bud. If I can't drive the OBX we already decided to do more trips up there with ya'll...If ya'll don't mind.

Did anyone else get a call from the friendly park rangers asking if they could give your information to a research group?

We recieved a call after we got our yearly permit asking for permission to give our contact information to an independent research group that would be doing telephone surveys about the use of the OSV zone. I'm thinking the two things are linked in someway. I am going to be interested to see where this goes.

Wish they'd contact me as a "NON-OSV" user for input :evil6:

I'm afraid its coming to all of our beaches---- I read these comments and think about how they have ruined Assateague Island Virginia. they have closed the beach down there for years now ----that is why I sold my place at Chincoteague----over half the beach is closed right now, every March 15th it is closed from the coast guard station,south, then before summer gets here the rest will be closed for the birds or turtles or whatever reason they come up with. Don't get me wrong if wildlife needs protecting I am all for it, but don't close the beach to traffic because you might run over baby birds and then have college kids doing "summer work" and various other government tagged trucks running up and down the beach. I was there one day when at least every 15 to 20 minutes a truck was going down the closed area. But then they are government vehicles that have the special tires that don't run over any living things----yeah right---- I hope and pray that our way on the beach survives, I have been doing the surf fishing thing for over 40 years now, but there are alot more liberal tree huggers then us, I really think you will soon see Assateague Island Virginia beaches closed to all OSV very soon