4 posts in this topic

Just bought my first surf fishing rod (I only borrowed them before)... it's an 11ft Penn Spinfisher with an older (but in mint condition) Penn 5500 SS Spinning Reel on it. This sound like a good setup to anyone? Also, does anybody suggest using Power Pro braid in the surf. It works wonders when I fish the Chesapeake... any advantages of using it in the surf over mono?

Just remember that braid will slice ya when your fish is in the wash!

I like braid for slinging metal for stripers, but that's about it! Would rather have some mono for grabbing shock leader in the wash (IMO).

About using braid or mono just comes down to what you are more comfortable with. My self I use mono holds up to the sand and shell better ( IMO ) then braid.

Best thing to do if you have an extra spool for the reel try both out one day and see for yourself.

Good luck :fish:

I like to use braid in the surf, but I always use a shock leader tied onto the braid using a uni to uni knot. The shock leader helps with the abrasion from shells and sand. It also keeps the braid from slicing into your fingers when you are trying to beach a big fish.Most say use 10lbs of test for each 1 oz weifht you are casting. I believe that is overkill. I normally use 40-50 lb shock leader. I have casted a 12 oz sinker and a bunker head with 50 lb shock leader and never had a problem. Make sure you change out your shock leader before every trip. Some say 4 or 5 turns around the spool for the leader is good, but I like about ten turns around the spool.

I'd skip the power pro and get some stren super braid. It's a far superior line IMO.