40 posts in this topic

Lets hear what everyone one thinks the best shark bait is.

swimmers and surfers

:lol:

Bunker is a good choice as well. Anything oily.

Live bait, small cut behind anal canal to allow it to bleed and trim the tail feathers to make it easier for Charkey to catch.

Nice fresh blood in the water and the sounds of an injured/struggling bait fish.

Either that or poke yerself in the leg with a hook and paddle your bait out. :x

Max, these fellas are right on the money. Especially the surfers swimmers part. :lol: Bloodier the better is usually the case. I have caught them from the VA and MD surf with bunker, spot, and kingfish carcass.

Whale meat has caught the largest shark by rod and reel. Frank Mundus caught it on a boat out of Montuak in '86 I believe. Few thousand pound Great White :shock: using a 16/0 Penn Senator. Down south fellas also use Tarpon, if legal, jackfish, Barracudas, ladyfish, sting rays, and other bloody stuff. And if you are really bold and a downright rebel, you would go with a sea turtle for a big Tiger shark. Not legal here, maybe not anywhere. But scientists find em in Tigers bellys quite frequently. Also find seabirds in thier stomachs. Almost forgot about the small sharks(baitsharks) and perhaps those butterfly rays would work rigged whole, alive, and stabbed a few times.... :twisted: :twisted:

I think that if you are using a surfer or swimmer for bait you would need 2 guys. One to hold them down and the other to put the hook in them.

I think that if you are using a surfer or swimmer for bait you would need 2 guys. One to hold them down and the other to put the hook in them.

:lol::lol:

Me on a boat doing my own chumming :mrgreen: Love to go out but sometimes have a problem with see sickness.. oh well I still go out. One year wile out in the White Marlin Open I was out on a friends boat and we were near the Baltimore Canyon just about to drop lines when on the radar 3 thunder cells popped up we missed 2 of them but got hit with the third what a trip took 5 hr to get back in 8 to 12 ft. seas and we were on a 26 center counsel water coming over the top canape and in the sides and nowhere to to get out of the wet that's one day I'll never forget ( there's more to that trip I just don't wont to remember right now :( )

almost all the Sharks I've caught were drifting cut-bait (mostly bunker) the bloodier the better, imho :!: I did catch a very large shark(@50lbs) once while trolling off the beach at @33rd st on a #21 Tony Accetta :?

I did catch a very large shark(@50lbs) once while trolling off the beach at @33rd st on a #21 Tony Accetta :?

Just wait, buddy...

Just wait, buddy... :kid: :up: :-)

:lol: yeah, I know.. believe it or not, we wern't even really trying to fish that evening, go figure :?

Jeff and I were just doing some "sea trials" in his 31' Velocity and just put out a couple of HD spinning rods behind the boat while we did a slow-troll checking the engines for leaks, whadda' surprise :lol: got the whole fight on tape, somewhere :|

Hey Randy!

Fiddy pounds is a throwback!

Yeah, just wait....... :shock:

Hey Randy!

Fiftyy pounds is a throwback!

Yeah, just wait....... :shock:

yeah, I agree ....and I'm sure there is another BMF'er out there with my name on-it :lol:

Used an entire side from a Black Drum, bout 10 lbs last time.

Will stop off to see Rose and get Tuney heads and hopefully some bloodline.....

Minimum bait, at least 5-10 lbs.

Oh yeah, Rose's sister, Donna lives near me. Pretty fun gal.

I must say that from my experiences this week- TUNA

Go to a marina at around 4-5 and find the carcasses of the tuna, they leave some huge meaty slabs on there that makes a perfect bait...it NEVER falls off, and it can work for some big toothy critters.... :shock:

just check out my latest report!

I have had a few good fights, but have yet to land my first big charky. I am getting more and more obsessed with catching one every day now.

I have had a few good fights, but have yet to land my first big charky. I am getting more and more obsessed with catching one every day now.

What did you use for bait Dave?

We'll get'cha squared-away on rigging...

Lets hear what everyone one thinks the best shark bait is.

cats

The other white meat

Piping plover, skate, croaker, and the ocassional tourist.

I would like to offer my ex-girlfriend to any of you guys as shark bait; you can call her a swimmer, surfer, or tourist dosn't matter.