16 posts in this topic

Well, I finally made the trek to the Charleston area this past weekend with my wife. We got to spend the part of 2 days on the beach, and North Folly was it. Very, very nice area. Fished the Surf on the ocean side of the point for the first hour or so on Friday , then moved around the point for the rest of the afternoon, and all of our time out on Saturday. There is a distinct channel coming in the inlet that is literally a rod's length from the sand. Fished with a few of the locals, and they were nailing the Whiting left and right. Great people - The one guy - John is his name ( stretch armstrong on the charlestonfishing.com site) just took his inshore captains test last week . He is a good hook up for us if anyone from up north wants to get a trip together in the future. I managed to get into the Whiting and 1 small seabass on Saturday. It finally warmed up on Saturday , and we couldn't have had a nicer last day there. Got to fish with a very nice 12 year old young man on Saturday - Kyle- from the Charlotte area. He really new what he was doing . We both managed to get into the fish for a while and had alot of fun.

I realize that we were in a very historical area, but , we needed some beach time after 10 hours of driving. Hopefully I get to go down there again with more time for the sight seeing experience to go with the fishing. To all of you folks who live down there, I really hope you understand what kind of an amazing fishing region you are in. I think it would take a lifetime for a local person to get to know the vast fishing area's that are there.

Hopefully , some of you folks will want to join me for a trek to this fishing mecca at some point in the next year. It is truly worth the effort it will take to make it happen!!!

Grossy

5852a51f513c5_BillFishingattheFollyBeach

spent about 22 summers there, this will be the first I miss since we don't want to make the drive with the baby...it is a wonderful place and I hope to retire to Folly.

Watch the big rays in that channel, damn near impossible to move since you're basically fighting they straight up and down. Grossy is right, the channel is deep right off the ledge in front of him.

spent about 22 summers there, this will be the first I miss since we don't want to make the drive with the baby...it is a wonderful place and I hope to retire to Folly.

Watch the big rays in that channel, damn near impossible to move since you're basically fighting they straight up and down. Grossy is right, the channel is deep right off the ledge in front of him.

I believe,Mr. Charkbait, that I was tangling with one of those gianormous rays you are speaking of. On the 12' spinning outfit on Friday afternoon . Felt like I had a flipping log or something on the end of the line - it would slowly but surely take line out , and I thought I felt some shaking , and I would crank it back in, but whatever it was would not budge more than a few inches. I busted it off after about 20 minutes of trying to figure out what it was. Oh yeh - parking in a public spot there along that road that goes out to the point - is now 1$ per hour - 8 hour maximum charge. That local police officer is the guy checking the windshields for the tickets that print out of the meter. He did not bother my truck - this time. I do not know if it is a seasonal thing or what.

...To see if anyone is paying attention. The better pictures Dawn took did not save on the camera - for whatever reason we will never know.

What's the catch in that water during the different seasons?

Good for a yak or too far to carry it?

Were you at N. Folly Beach County Park?

And I sure would like to know more about that parking thingey....

What's the catch in that water during the different seasons?

Good for a yak or too far to carry it?

Were you at N. Folly Beach County Park?

And I sure would like to know more about that parking thingey....

Where we were - it would probably be too far off the main road for a yak. There used to be a Coast Guard Station at the end of the main road and the driveway to this station is now part of the trail to the spot where we were.There is a gate and a good 3/8 of a mile hike to get to the water, some paved and the end is thru the dune. It's not really a county park, more like a public area. However - if you carry the yak thru the public accesss to the ocean - it would not be a far paddle into the inlet - less than 10 minutes tops. The surf zone is flat with out much structure, and the point to the inlet does not jut out that far. We were there for low tide.As far as the fish - the locals told me they get into the red and black drum thru there, along with flounder as the main species. Maybe Ben has a better idea on that. The parking thing is apparently a brand new thing that was just started there at the beginning of 2008. There are parking spots in front of the properties that are not subject to the fee's if they are not occupied. Any of the "city" owned spots are "metered" for the $1 per hour, via a machine that you put your dollars into that prints a ticket for you to put on your windshield.

Grossy is right on species, I wanted to yak the area but the currents were too much. It is the area between folly and morris island, the lighthouse in the background is morris island light.

Folly is a great place, I would not make a special trip for fishing. Maybe yakking the backwaters for reds and flatties. Very few bull drum are caught in this area for some reason.

A yak trip I would love to do is to Beaufort for the cobia run, easy yakkin and a lunatic fish.

Ben, would you want to be more specific?

(gimme all the good skinny!)

Sounds like a good idea!

Sorry Ben, I was the one that should have been more specific....

Which backwaters and what about a convenient yak launch and day parking? Same area as Grossy mentioned?

Is Folly Beach Park decent?

there is a public launch crossing the bridge to Folly. I would hit nikonjedi up for the info on others.

If you want to brave that inlet, you can drag to the beach as grossy said.

The Current did not "look" that strong, but, it did take 3 ounces to hold bottom. I admit I am not a Yakker, so I do not have a gauge on what is yakkable and what is not.

it depends what moon phase as well, I had 10's just a rolling. so much that you had to recast up current every 5 minutes or so. Oh, and Grossy, you deninitely had a ray...sucker probably has 100 hooks in his mouth.

Nah, everyone uses hooks that quickly rust away. :D

Yeah, it's nearly impossible to muscle a hunnerd pounder off the bottom, especially with less than 30# line.

Odds are, forget about it!

Think I had him hooked atleast twice - if not three times . I had to break off atleast twice on the big rod, and I had a quick break off on the light rod on Saturday. Yikes!!

Y'all gotta come down for the BARF... ( Beaufort Area Redfish Flotilla) A buch of fellow yakkers get together eat frogmore stew and chase Cobia and Shark in the Borad river for a couple of days... Talk about a Redneck Sleigh ride!!! I missed last years but I am trying to get leave squared away for this year... I'll post more info as soon as I get firm dates...